Speakers for Ipod and Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by emidge, Jun 5, 2008.

1. emidge macrumors newbie

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of some portable or small speakers that will work with an Ipod and a Macbook. I found some that dock your Ipod while connected to the computer but I would like to be able to play my Ipod while not connected to the computer. (I have an 80G video)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP265LL/A?fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/speakers&mco=Njg3NjQx

I have the previous version of this speaker.
    It has an internal battery to power the speakers. iPod runs off it's battery.
    When plugged into the wall (included adapter) it will charge both the speakers and the ipod.
    it also has a dock connector on the back, so if it's on your desk you can plug it into your computer for syncing purposes while it's still sitting in the speakers.
    It also has a line-in jack, so with the apropriate cable, you can run your macbook's sound through the speakers if you want.

Most speakers should function standalone with out being connected to the computer, they just use the dock connector to interface with the iPod.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, the Apple Hi-Fi Works the same way as well. Most high-end iPod docks have this option. The Bose do as well.

4. emidge thread starter macrumors newbie

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

just a standard male to male trs cable. (That's the cable for your standard iPod headphones)

6. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

It depends if you actually want good quality, or very good quality, or just crap...(im guessing not the latter of the options).

Two docks that stand out above basically everything else are these two, the Bower & Wilkins Zeppelin and the NEW Bose Sound dock(the one with the rotatey thing on it):
    The B&W -
    [​IMG]

The Bose Sound dock (rotate thingy allows you to hide the sound dock when not in use):
    [​IMG]

The Bose Sound dock (rotate platform shown with a docked iPod in it):
    [​IMG]

With all these, the only thing that you need to connect your computer to the speakers is a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm jack, one that you can easily find of relativly good quality for about £15. The cable basically has two end that look exactly the same, and each end looks like the end of a standard set of headphones, as mentioned in an earlier post

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

you definately picked the two (B&O and Bose) best sounding, the Apple Hi-Fi isn't bad either. OBVIOUSLY, the best sound, and possibly best price would come from an iPod dock and a set of speakers, for the price of the B&O and Bose you can buy a decent set of monitors.

This is the one time that I would recommend the Bose over most the competition...while that and if we are buying some 901's.

8. micmex macrumors newbie

I´m using the bose shown above both for iPod and MBP and its outstanding. In two other rooms I´m using the Altec Lansing inMotion iM 600:

[​IMG]

It´s nearly as good as the Bose for half the price, has a battery (Bose don´t) and has a radio...

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod