Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Hi all, my 13-year-old nephew is turning into a guitar virtuoso and music producer thru his constant use of Garageband. Problem is he has to steal the crappy $10 speakers from his parents' desktop to hear his work (doesn't like listening thru headphones)

So it's time to buy him some real speakers. Can anyone recommend a good pair of speakers (or a L/R + subwoofer set) for under $100? Thanks.

Bardasian

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The Logitechs are okay for listening to music. However, like most computer-centric 2.1 speaker systems, they tend to have built-in emphasis on the bass and treble.

Pro music producers and recording engineers tend to prefer as flat a frequency response as possible when composing or recording. Many mixing engineers even prefer "midrange lift" monitors. (For example, my main music-composition headphones are Roland RH-50s; they emphasize (lift) the midrange slightly to make different instrument lines in the busy midrange frequencies stand apart better for mixing purposes.) Once everything's mixed, producers listen to the finished mix on several types of speakers, from studio monitors to regular earbud headphones to Hi-Fi stereo systems to the speakers built into computers, to make sure that the song sounds right on a wide variety of playback devices before release.

I recommend you visit Musician's Friend or Sweetwater online, or your local professional musical instrument store; there are some nice monitor combos to be had for under $100. Some have a USB connection and an extra audio input for recording.
Not to jack this thread but how would you connect these to a monitor connected to a laptop?

The Logitechs have a stereo audio jack that connects it to the laptop's regular audio output. I think I understand your confusion, though; that's a rather convoluted-looking cabling setup for a 2.1 system, although I admit it makes logical sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.