Speakers for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2contagious, May 3, 2008.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hey =)

I'd like to buy some 2.1 speakers for when I move into my dorm in London. Which speakers would you buy:

Harman Kardon SoundSticks II
    or
    Altec Lansing FX6021

I am looking for the best sound quality and good bass. Right now I have Creative 7.1 speakers, but I can't take such a 'thing' into a dorm lol

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I have the soundsticks and can really recommend then.

I have never tried the Altec Lansing FX6021 speakers so can't offer a comparison.

3. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I don't have either model, but I have a different 2.1 Altec Lansing setup that produces great sound!

+1 for Altec...

4. Qwickshot macrumors newbie

Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1

or if you want more compact:

Iv got Logitech Z-10 Interactive 2.0 which are really nice. They have propper woofers in them so if your into heavy base they can produce it. Good solid all round speakers.

Creative Gigaworks T40 2.0 are good too.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I have the Soundsticks, but after three years of use, my iSub has started to fail from time to time. The power supplies on these units can sometimes get lose and cause this annoyance.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I wouldn't really recommend the Aego's. If you have that much money to spend you can get a really (really) good set of Monitors. I have a pair of Mackie's, a KRK sub and a pair of Behringer Truth's B2031a's picked the up off Amazon for US260?

I would reccomend the Altec Lansing FX6021, as you can see I'm a major fan boy of these, why exactly can't you use the gigaworks in your dorm, is the sub too big, because as I recall...they speakers themselves are fairly small...oh all those wires....

7. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Seconded. I love mine and they sound great paired with my iMac.

8. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

Aego M from Acoustic Energy hands down.

I have HK Soundsticks too, but I think Aegos are better. Mackies seem to be way more expensive.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Behringer's...They will blow you away...

Also the OP hasn't set a price range, because at some points you can find the FX6021's for $150 US

10. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

i've been looking at the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 but have waited for some time. could someone recommend this system or should i get what has stated above.

11. hickster macrumors newbie

Oh Yeah! By all means. The Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia...ROCK!
    Just be sure to spread them out a bit (at least a couple of inches outside of the monitor on each side (as placement is everything with horns). The wider, the better (to a degree). Even if you are in a fixed seating area (where narrower is more acceptable), they just flat out ROCK!
    hickster

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I still liked my FX6021's over these, but these ugly little speakers sure do the trick

13. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

14. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I have JBL Encounter and they look and sound great! :) I did have a look at Sound Sticks, but didn't like the looks. In reviews that I read, both these were rated good. So I decided to go for better looks. :)

15. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I bought the Altec Lansing ones and I must say: the sound is PERFECT :eek:

the thing is.. it's a bit too perfect :confused:
    somehow I can now hear "cracks" in some of my mp3s (yes it doesn't come from the speakers.. it's IN the mp3 files). they are in the songs bought on the itunes store as well.. is that normal?! :(

EDIT: I found out that it's only in iTunes. When I play the same song in VLC, there is no distortion at all. What could be wrong with iTunes? the equalizer is fine.. it's turned off.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Pulling up an old thread:

Oh man you are not kidding. I just picked up the MS40 series and wow. I didn't know computer speakers can sound so freaking good!

Thank you for referencing behringer. Did a search and found a pair that was getting a pretty good rating. Picked them up and man I am in heaven. Love them!!

Thanks again.