Speakers for MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iknowgungfu, Nov 25, 2008.

1. iknowgungfu macrumors member

Hi all,

I am looking out for some speakers (2.1) for when I am at home with my MB. Not sure what speakers to go for though, obviuosly sound quality is important to me but I would also like a nice looking product too :)

So far , I have found JBL spots and I think I like them and they are at a fairly decent price (don't feel the need to spend hundreds of pounds for a set of computer speakers - I have my mordaunt shorts downstairs for that sort of thing!)

Besides the JBL spot, can anyone think of any others to consider?

2. matthewcap macrumors member

bose companion 2 are solid....also, you can find the jbl creature IIs on amazon which are awesome with the included subwoofer...finally, the jbl on stage III is also great and is very portable and with great sound...

3. OptyCT macrumors 6502

If you running M-S's in your hi-fi setup, then I'm guessing that you're gonna want something that sounds decent. My recommendation would be to look at the 2-channel powered loudspeaker offerings from Audioengine or M-Audio. It looks like the Audioengine's are available in Britain, but I'm not sure about the M-Audio's.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Use the search tool, there are numerous other threads with tons of suggestions.

I would second the idea of monitors M-Audio is better then any computer speaker, however, I would recommend Behringer's B2031A.

As for actualy 2.1 speakers my recommendation is always the Altec Lansing FX6021's if you cannot find the Swan M10.

The monitors will always sound better however. There might be some size constraints though that would prevent you from owning these.

The fact that you are in the UK means you should always apt for the Swans (because you can find them much easier then us in the States)

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

The Audio Engine A2 look about right. However, the subwoofer is massive!! Does anyone know of a smaller/compact one to accompany these speakers? I have had a look but can't seem to find one.

8. jon08 macrumors 65816

9. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Conventional wisdom says that buying a computer speaker means also having to purchase an accompanying subwoofer. In 98% of cases, this is true. Mainly because the driving force behind computer speaker design is maintaining a small footprint and throwing a big sound. This design compromises the speaker's ability to produce a pronounced lower register (aka bass). However, not all computer speakers subscribe to this design philosophy. Check out this Stereophile article on the Audioengine A2's (without the subwoofer):

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1207ae/

Unless you're planning on using these speakers in a large room/area, or if the majority of your music listening is synthetic bass-heavy (i.e. rap, techno), then I think that you'd be pleased with just the monitors.

10. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice-it looks more and more like the Audioengine.

11. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

KRK Rokit 5 G2.

I have two of them and going to add 3 more later this year.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I love my KRK's (2-V8, 2-V88, 1-S12, 1-Expose) However, price range makes it hard; really look at the Swan M10's.

14. vfrancisco macrumors newbie

bose

bose are more expensive, but they sound amazing. you can get a pair of bose computer speakers for right around 100 bucks. if you have the extra cash, pick up the Bose companion 2 series. don't waste your money on the companion 3's.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I hate to say it, but the Bose (even with the extra price) will not sound as good as most the stuff that's being thrown around this thread. We aren't talking about Logitech speakers we are talking about monitors.

16. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

Well, with Christmas around the corner I have asked for the beautiful GF of mine to purchase some black AudioEngine A2. Everyreview I read seems to be full of praise!

Thanks for the info people! Just need to find some in stock :mad: