Speakers for Music... Please Help...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pak^Man, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hi All,

I’m looking to purchase a set (preferably) compact 2.1 Speakers for my Mac setup. This is going to be my everyday go-to system for my high bit-rate MP3 and AAC files.

I have already looked through numerous posts in the Forum, but most of the advice is for Gamers/Mutimedia, or actually suggests systems I have alreday been though.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here's something about what I'm looking for:

My “Audio” Background
    • JBL Creatures (Good College system, but not any more)
    • Bose Companion 3 – Series I (Loved the compact satellites, and Boomy Bass… by music just never felt complete)
    • HK SoundSticks II (Excellent sound… very complete…. But not enough Bass)

Usage
    • Primarily Music (Acoustic guitars, Alternative, but also Metal & Thrash). So I’m looking for a system that allows me enjoy the whole range from Michael Buble to Pantera.
    • DVD’s on my MBP (Maybe twice a month)
    • Games (Never)

This is going to sit in my over-cluttered bed room, so I cant really go for a component system (Unless you can suggest some really small components). I’d ideally like a 2.1 system, so I can enjoy some Bass, but I don’t really need the Klipsch-like thumping Bass, but will consider anything (even Klipsch & Bose) as long as the sound is terrific and complete (Low-Mid-High… no muddiness)

Price range: up to $300

I have been considering 2.0 Monitors as well. But I don’t always listen to my tunes from my desk… more likely sitting in bed… so I need something that can provide a decent audio experience from 10-15 feet as well.

So:
    Compact
    <$300
    Preferably 2.1
    Complete Sound Profile
    For Music!

Gracias!! :)

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I have some Roth Audioblob 2s and they do the job reasonably. If I had time/space/money I would perhaps have a hi-fi setup connected to my computer. That ought to sound better.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly, you may find that compact =/= great if you're serious about audio.
    You can try out some monitors like M-Audio or Klipsch. But it sounds like you want really small and really great. I have a set of Bose music monitors. At $400, no sub, they do me fine, but I am not an audiophile in the least.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I have and love the Logitech Z-2300 2.1 system. Their sound is amazing, very full, great bass if you want, and turned even past 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up they positively ROCK the house! (but still sound amazing)

They can be had for under $150 most anywhere offline, I think I was able to get them through a campus tech store for ~$110, and Amazon has them for $80 (but shipping is expensive since the sub adds more weight than a normal package)

From what you want them for, these speakers should fit your profile. Go listen to them at a local electronics store (most all places carry them) and be amazed :D

5. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Swans?

Anyone have experience with the Swan M10s?

Will they be fit for the stated purpose? Is there enough Bass in those Babies?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Preamp/Amp:

http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php...&product_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

For speakers, check out some internet-direct brands, like Hsu Research, SVS, Axiom Audio, Ascend Acoustics, Aperion, AV123, etc. Axiom and SVS I know both carry some $200 speakers you might like.

Add the sub later on when you can afford it. Those same companies have some good subs too. HSU has a low end model a lot of people like.