Speakers for my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by harveypooka, May 22, 2009.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

My Altec Lansing MX5021's have finally died.

I've had two sets and while the quality of sound is really quite wonderful, speakers usually end up making clicking sounds and the transformer inside the subwoofer is very, very loud.

I listen to a range of music - from deep ambient to heavy rock - and play a lot of games. Clarity is more important than volume.

Any suggestions?

2. shawnathan macrumors member

shawnathan

I've been using the same set of Soundsticks II for about 5 years now, and they still sound great!

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I've been using the Aiwa TS-C20 System for 12 years now. I bought the one on the show room floor. I have it on my MacPro 2008 and use it for HD Video Production. Never failed me since.

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

5. Rychy macrumors 6502

I need some speakers for my Mac Pro too... I've been thinking about getting the Soundsticks II.

6. BigRedOne macrumors regular

+1 on the Audioengine A5's. They sound very nice....

7. mattlong1978 macrumors member

mattlong1978

I use the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 speakers which have impressed me no end after previously using some Logitech Z680's which i found to be way to bass heavy the Aego M's where much more balanced and not as overwhelming don't be put of by the size of the satellites these speakers are an outstanding bit of kit.

8. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've been really happy with my Bose Companion 5 system. Best speakers I've ever used, and they have a great balance - no distortion on the highs/mids or bass, even at higher levels.

9. eylee86 macrumors newbie

Swan M10

I own the Swan M10 sets which I love. The only pain is that it is designed for the subwoofer to be on the same level a the satellites. But other than that the bass is good enough for my ear. I listen to whole range of music from hiphop, alternative, to classical. And I am satisfied with my M10's. It might not have the ground-shaking bass but I'm little over that with the logietch Z-2300. But I was considering along with my Swna M10's, Aego M, Audioengine A2/A5. I did test out the Audioengine A5's and I thought that the bass was little lacking. I wasn't too impressed for the price. Maybe you could go with Audioengine A2's and get a separate subwoofer. Or just get Aego M be done with it. I personally chose Swan M10 for the great money value. Wanted to save some extra dough for a DAC or EMU-0404.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

+1

At a certain point (probably the $250 price point) one is getting into monitor range and should look in that market...

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Logitech X530's, you can probably find them for under $70US dollars, very nice.

12. eylee86 macrumors newbie

I would avoid Bose

I would avoid Bose. I feel that the sound quality they put out doesn't justify it's price. Also you can also consider Swan M200MkII with separate sub. They are cheaper than A2s and they put out pretty good sound. But knowing that even M5's didn't have enough bass for me, I had to rule that out. Ofcourse, story's different if you're planning out a separate sub.

13. southpaw998 macrumors newbie

The Swan's are excellent speakers. I personally don't mind the lack of bass, as to me, speakers like the z-2300's seem to distort it more than help it.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: you dont like bass!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh. my. god!

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bass ≠ Excessive Distorting of Bass

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not if you have good speakers :p

Bass = Pure Goodness!

17. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I think Bose is overpriced too, but I don't think that makes them 'sound' worse. I have the previous gen Bose Companion 3 and they're marvelous, teeny little speakers and the sub sound terrific, great clarity. My friend is recording an album on her own at a studio and we listened to some of her songs on my Mac Pro and she was pleasantly surprised and different things she was hearing these speakers put out that she hadn't heard so clearly before.

If you want clarity you'll need to spend $200+ I believe, but I haven't shopped around much on sound. I have some $70 Logitech 2.1 that sound like a muffled tin can next to my Bose.

18. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have a set of Bose companion 5 and I really like them. The price did not bother me.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well if you have good speakers then there should be no distortion;)

20. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

Bose Companion 3 for our set up. Sounds amazing!

[​IMG]

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahaha apparently not! i have logitech X530s and i cant hear any distortion on them, even with low levels of bass.

wowzers!! very stylish office you got there!! love it! nice equiptment too!!

22. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

Thanks, I set it up for my daughter. I help with the filming, and she does all the rest. It's fun

23. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is that your daughter? What kind of filming does she do on there?

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

impressive! im starting to get into filming a lot more, my hardware isnt exactly up to scratch but i would love to learn.

very impressive.. im jealous!

25. KapilNarain macrumors newbie