Speakers/Headphone problem on Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boateng, Nov 24, 2014.

1. boateng macrumors 6502

Basically i use both headphones and speakers on my mac and i have been having this problem.

Sometimes no sound will be coming from the headphone jack and recently no sound from the speakers.
    However when i go in to preferences, sound, and then click on 'output' and then click 'internal speakers'...the sound then from the speakers then work again.

Shouldn't this be automatic? Every-time i switch from headphones to speakers i have to go through system preferences and then click on 'built in speakers', if not, no sound comes.
    What should I do?

2. snaky69, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014

snaky69 macrumors 603

Perhaps the switch in the port is stuck. You could try playing around with a toothpick.

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

On my MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2014, the speakers did not work, the sound level icon would be grayed out, and in "Sound" I would see "The selected device has no output controls" message. The boot up tone would work however.

What I did was insert a wired headset into the headset sound port, than out again, and this would get things back to normal for awhile, but only for a few days only. Unknown if this will help you. Good luck anyway

4. boateng thread starter macrumors 6502

how do you make this permanent?

should i take my laptop to the apple shop?

5. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Mine seemed permanent at first, but and after a few days it reappeared again, and all I had to do is insert the headset cable in than out, and bingo, it worked. Unknown if I did something to do this, but I will keep an eye on it before calling Apple. If yours doesn't fix itself, give Apple a call and see if they can trouble shoot it. Than post any fixes back here to those that have the same issues.

Good luck