Speakers help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Keanehb, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Keanehb macrumors newbie

Im looking for a good pair of speakers for my MBP. I can spend around 150$ and am looking for speakers with a strong bass that dont take up too much room. Im not sure if they make wireless speakers but that would be preferred. Any advice is appreciated thanks. -Keane

2. mrdm macrumors regular

M-audio AV40

These can't be beat. I have a pair of the AV30s which feature the same tweeter and great construction. The AV40s have a bigger woofer for better bass. Still - the AV30's have great balance, plenty of bass for me and are $50 less:)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you are looking for bass and an affordable price i would say go for Logitech speakers (notice the link of these two pros to your needs).

if you are using them for just music and the usual get the Z-2300s 2.1 speakers. if you are using them for gaming and movies get the Z-5500 5.1 speakers.

the AV40s are great book shelf speakers with great sound. but the OP has highlighted bass and the Logitechs would surely suit better.

4. CTrav86 macrumors member

For computer speakers the AV40's would be pretty nice, though if you really want bass, you'll need something with a sub. But the AV40's aren't exactly on the "small" side for computer speakers.

The Logitech 2300, 313, or 323 aren't bad for computer speakers, though.

In my opinion, all computer speakers are going to suffer from the same faults... lots of treble, some over emphasized bass, very weak mids, and not a long lifespan if you're using them a lot.

I just got a set of Cyber Acoustics 2.1 speakers from Office Depot for 30 bucks (regularly 50) and they definitely sound better than the 313 or 323 at half the price (I haven't heard the 2300). That being said, they are still not "great" by any means... but great comes at a price. Stick with something decent like Logitech, CA, etc. that you won't feel bad if it doesn't hold up more than a year or so for the price you paid.

Whatever you do, though... don't get Bose. The sound is ok (slightly better than Logitech or CA), but not good enough for the price.

5. Username02 macrumors regular

I can recommend the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia computer speakers:
    http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

Awesome! IMHO, they don't suffer from the faults that CTrav86 mentioned regarding computer speakers.
    That subwoofer is kinda large though, so just make sure you have some floor space.

FYI. I have owned them for about 5 years or so (and 3 different computers) and they have held up fantastically.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i agree. but the OP is looking for bass and a good price in particular. so the computer speakers especially Logitech ones are a good choice.

atm im using monitor headphones and a Hi-Fi sytstem. looking to by some bookshelf speakers with a built in amp.

7. CTrav86 macrumors member

OP: Rich is right... give the Logitech's a listen... they'll give you good bass for your money. I was looking at the 323 before I got my current set. But, these Cyber Acoustics I bought thump quite a bit. What pushed me toward them, other than the price, was that the sub's woofer cone was larger than that of most Logitech's, and thus could push lower notes. The model is CA-3602. I'd never heard them, and just bought them on a whim and figured, well, for 30 bucks, what the hell. Not disappointed, especially for the price. Definitely worth a listen.

Rich: What bookshelf's are you looking at? And what headphones are you using?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Audioengine A5s or even the A2s as they pack quite a bit sound and bass for little monitors and Audio Technica ATH-AD700s

9. Keanehb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help. I think im gonna go with the logitech 2300 ones. How about headphones? Im also checking out some noise cancelling headphones and am curious what you guys think are the best. So far i like the jvc hanc250.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i've got an earlier bit more powerful version of the z5500 bout 300watts for the sub itself. at 1/5 volume i can hear it throughout my house :p

edit: ah, i got the z5450, you cant get those form logitech anymore, seems like their actually hard to get by.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-5450-digital/4507-3179_7-31517017.html

oh and its dual 10" woofer. You guys know then feeling when you go to night clubs and the woofers are so powerful that they cause the liquid in your eyes to vibrate making it impossible to focus? - this thing does that.

11. CTrav86 macrumors member

Unless you're mainly using these headphones in places like aircraft, noise canceling headphones are a waste. They never sound as good as real headphones, and in order to cancel noise they emit a white noise themselves.

If you want a good all around big studio-style headphone, look at the Audio Technica's. I can certainly testify to the awesome sound of the ATH-M50's. Grado also makes some sick cans, but they're fairly pricey. Sennheiser's and Beyerdynamic are also worth looking at.

12. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Best computer speakers I ever heard were these jobbies Altec Lansing FX6021. I found a store here in Australia that had one set in the back room new and boxed, forgotten in the storeroom 4 a few years. They R Mine now mwah hahaha http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250094&stc=1&d=1283620445 Crystal clear Mids & Highs & nice defined Bass... And they Match My MacBook Pro very nicely.

Attached Files:

13. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

all the altec lansing i have ever herd is crap

14. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Uhuh well all hail mr audiophile, these speakers are super duper spanky.

15. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

16. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

no, this model is as good as Mrwonkers says they are. they sound much better than your average altecs.