speakers ipad vs 13 mbp

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tim100, Aug 10, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

how do the ipad speakers compare to the 13 mbp? ipad speaker seem good to me.

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

The most obvious difference is that the iPad is mono whereas the MBP has stereo sound with subwoofers.

3. Briview macrumors regular

For some reason, I feel as if my iPad has more bass than my 13" MBP... and better sound quality, despite not being louder... but maybe it's because the latter is from June 2009. I don't know if there was a significant difference for the 2010 model though.

4. tunnelvision macrumors newbie

I'd suspect that's mostly due to the iPad's smaller size and the fact that you're literally holding the speaker in your hands. :)

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Actually, I also did a speakers compare with my Macbook and it was very close but the iPad does appear to be louder and have better frequency response. I don't know if thats psychological or if the iPad acoustic modeling is something they'll start pytting in macbooks and iMacs.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

13" MBP speakers aren't exposed whereas the ipads is. So its likely that the ipad may seem better.

7. defer09 macrumors newbie

i still dont understand why they did that

8. Briview macrumors regular

Yeah... I noticed this too. Very strange. :confused:

Well, I feel that even if the 13" MBP speakers were exposed, the iPad would still sound better... mainly because of the lower range frequency responses. I did a couple of bass tests, and EASILY, could my Apple earphones with remote&mic capture the essence of the low bass (and when I pushed them further into my ears) they sound very very deep. However, the iPad was capable of manipulating the same bass (although it didn't sound as deep since the device isn't in the ears exactly). Yet the MBP couldn't play any of the same tests. Just plain silence. I thought my ears were unable to hear it at first, but nope...

For some reason, iPad speakers seem much better than those on a 13" MBP, despite being mono over the MBP's stereo output.

9. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I too thought about this when I first put on some music on the iPad. I was so surprised at the quality of the sound from the ipads speaker!

However reading this thread I put the two side by side playing the same track and have to conclude that the speakers of my mbp dump all over the iPad. The laptop is much louder and whilst there is a certainly a difference in the sound that each produces I couldn't say which was actually better 'Quality if either'.

Overall I guess I'm just impressed with the sound quality of both products. Who's a winner?

10. gatearray macrumors 65816

I believe that there is also a resonant bass chamber in the iPad that runs the length of the device, hence the vibration of the bass on the aluminum when holding it... Nice idea, Apple!