Speakers, mic, and audio in and out stopped working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nate of Great, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Nate of Great macrumors newbie

So this is nuts. The other day I was watching a movie. It is important to note that the volume was only about ⅓ the max volume. Suddenly my iMac (2011) made a loud (louder than the volume was set) sound that was like a giant rubber band being plucked. A few catastrophic thing happened immediately after this event: the internal speakers stopped working, the internal mic stopping working, and the headphone port stopping working. When I visit System Preferences > Sound, I have NO options for the internal speakers or mic. I have tried at least 371 suggested procedures that I found online. None of them worked. I'm hoping someone can help me based on my rather unique situation (I haven't found anyone online with an identical problem).

Please ask for more information if necessary!

Thank you
    Nathan

Attached Files:

2. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

Apple menu pick "About This Mac" and then "System Report" button then "Hardware -> Audio (Built in)". Post the results.

3. Nate of Great thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure this is good news...

Attached Files:

4. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

Try again after removing ALL third party equipment.

5. Nate of Great thread starter macrumors newbie

I disconnected everything and got the same result. I restarted my computer also with everything disconnected and still got the same result.

Does this sound like hardware failure to you?

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

It could be a hardware failure, but what is that soundflower stuff?

7. Nate of Great thread starter macrumors newbie

It's software that lets you record audio being played from the system. I used it to record audio while I recorded the Xcode simulator. That was a long time ago, so I'm no longer familiar with it, but it has been on my mac for a very long time and never caused a problem.

8. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

If you have a hardware diagnostics boot disk, you could try that. Or get the machine to Apple and they can try that.

If the third party stuff was connected via USB, then maybe one or more USB ports are fried.

There is only a slim chance that it's software; this could be tested by booting from a different, known good drive.

9. Nate of Great thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, everything connected via USB is working fine. I'm beginning to believe this is not software... sadly as I think that would be the easiest fix.

I'll see what I can do to inspect hardware some more. I was inside my iMac yesterday, but couldn't do anything worthwhile. Unless someone provides the winning information within the next few days, I'll probably haul this iMac to a Genius Bar.

10. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

Another idea is to dig around in the system log for suspicious entries around the time of failure.