Speakers much worse than Mini 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shinobi026, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Shinobi026 macrumors newbie

Is anyone else finding this? I'm usually not that picky as at the end of the day the quality of the loud speakers on the device will never be amazing but my issue is this. Been using my iPad mini 2 all morning setting it up for my brother as I'm upgrading. The mini 4 arrived and almost instantly noticed a fair drop in audio quality. Sounds very tinny almost like the speakers have blown. Is anyone else having this or do I have a faulty device?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Thinner, lighter ;)
    I should get mine tomorrow, but didnt expect the speakers to be better.
    In adition, I am hearing impared, I played electric guitar in a band in my youth....before earplugs were even thought about lol.
    With only 40% of my hearing left, this is not great news.

3. Shinobi026 thread starter macrumors newbie

The "Thinner, lighter" theory seems to be the cause. The speakers look like they have had to be made smaller / thinner this time round (see pic). On the other hand I could just have a bad device, we'll see if anyone agrees with me.

I will point out I only seem to notice a big difference watching Twitch via the app. Maybe it was the audio of the streamer I was watching that highlighted the difference. Using Youtube, Music etc.. it's less noticeable. Apart from this its really nice and noticeably lighter than the Mini 2 which is a nice surprise! Almost to the point where it feels fake!

Attached Files:

4. newellj macrumors 601

Not good news at all - the iPad Mini 2 is already volume-challenged. Maybe Apple wanted to avoid all sorts of whining about vibrations.

5. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

Well there goes the fix to peoples petty whining about the vibrations in the Air 2 ;) I would much rather have the more powerful speaker in my air 2, than sacrifice audio quality because the chassis vibrates a bit when on full blast..

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well that sucks. The Mini 2/3 already have weak speakers that are difficult to hear unless you're in a quiet setting. I might pass on the 4 if they're even lower in loudness. Don't feel like having to put on headphones to watch movies and videos.

7. newellj macrumors 601

Totally, strongly agree with both. The lack of volume in the Mini 2 made it useless for watching movies without a good separate speaker.

8. Shinobi026 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's not even the loudness to be fair. it's the quality even when it is low. trying to decide if I should take it back or not.

9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Not my experience though I didn't do a direct comparison of the two.

I downloaded and listened to Buena Vista Social Club and while we ain't talking audiophile quality and shouldn't expect that, it sounded more than acceptable to me. I usually listen through head/earphones so I didn't really go further since that is my usual listening mode.

I'll do more tomorrow, listening without earphones and report back.

10. Petey-Pete macrumors newbie

Petey-Pete

This is sad news for me, speaker quality means a lot while consuming media. The iPad pro maybe my next iPad with its great screen and speakers.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

My experience with the ipad mini 2 we are definitely in agreement with it being volume challenged. The Mini 4 is quite acceptable to me though again I haven't yet done a direct comparison but I think I would definitely notice and say to myself where's the beef since it would be a struggle to listen and it wasn't. :)

And I remember someone else in another thread saying it was pretty good and wasn't concerned.

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I've not been able to do a direct comparison either but the mini 4 sound is pretty loud and clear.

Music sounds nice. It might be a bit brighter/light weight but it's not "bad".

13. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Perhaps you do have blown speakers because my speakers in my Mini 4 sound great. Outstanding bass response for a micro thin tablet. Significantly better than my IPad 3.

14. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

hey guys has the sound vibration issue been fixs? that was a pain in the ipad air 2

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

This review does a head to head comparison Mini 3 vs. Air 2...@10:35 mark

TL;DW: Mini 4 > Mini 3

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Gone, back on par with the Air 1.

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

hopefully it's b better then the mini 1 my wife is blind and has to listen to voiceover al the time on the speakers.

18. AppleRobert macrumors 603

S
    Should be fine. Hard to do a test at Best Buy or Apple with all the noise in those stores. Maybe you can find one elsewhere to test, maybe a carrier Verizon etc. will have one.

19. Shinobi026 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I'm getting used to the slightly more tinny speakers now in the 4. directly comparing the iPad mini 2 to the 4, my 2 is better, but it's not bothering me as much now.

20. newellj macrumors 601

Really? I have always found the Mini 2 speakers way too quiet. Other people have posted that they think the 4 has louder volume Is the difference sound quality, or sound volume, or both?

21. ron7624, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I just unboxed my Mini 4 a couple of hours ago. I went to the front page here and had the Mini read it to me. The 4 is much louder with a richer, more full sound than the Mini 2.
    I love my Mini 2, but there is no comparison. The sound is way better,on the Mini 4, the colors are warmer and more vibrant and it's very, very fast and smooth.
    Very nice device.

22. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Both.

23. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Sound quality and volume good. I don't feel any vibration with the silicone case on. Didn't test for this before putting on the case.

24. Shinobi026 thread starter macrumors newbie

going to test one out in the Apple Store - pretty sure I have a bad device as no one seems to have the same issue as me!

25. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

Couldn't say it better myself.