Speakers not working, popping noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tvhargon, Jan 22, 2010.

1. tvhargon macrumors newbie

Yesterday my speakers stopped working. It's not software based, the audio drivers are working properly. Whenever a sound that is over a certain volume is played, you can hear a pop come from the speakers. For instance, if I play a song that has fluctuating volume, every time the volume goes up, there's a pop, and every time it goes back down, there's a pop. The volume the computer is set to doesn't effect this. Even if it's muted, there's still a pop that's the same volume as if the volume is turned up all the way. Any ideas what could be causing this?

(I took a video, I can upload it if that'd help)

2. celticpride678

To eliminate the possible software side of it, perform a Clean Install of Mac OS X. If the issue still exists, it is either the speakers or the main logic board, or both that have gone bad. I had a similar issue with my Mac and the logic board and speakers had to be replaced.

3. tvhargon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I did do a clean install so I'll just take it into my friendly, neighborhood apple authorized repair facility. Thanks!

4. celticpride678

One thing that I just remembered....you might just try a simple PRAM and SMC reset, but I don't think that will fix this issue.