Speakers on the MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Is there a setting that changes the audio balance of DVDs, I played a film that I'm very familiar with on a TV and the sound on the MBP was completely wrong, the music that was loud in parts is very feint in the background and the levels of audio in general between speech and music are completely wrong?
    I'm using the bog standard player on the new MBP 13"

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I've never had this issue on my 17" MBP. I think it's your dvd's.

3. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Use VLC for playing DVDs, it has better video and audio options.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Not DVD no, it plays perfectly fine on the TV DVD player, but sound is completely out and levels unlistenable. Wondered if it's a speaker issue on the baby MBP?

Will give VLC a go, thanks.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Your DVD player or TV most likely uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression (Night Mode/Quiet Mode) to normalize the volume levels.

Movie soundtracks usually have a very large dynamic range. To people unaccustomed to hearing them at full range, parts can sound either too loud or too quiet.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

In actual fact, the sounds heard by the OP via his DVD player/TV and his MBP were both wrong!

The audio quality recorded on most DVD's is usually very good and the reproduced sound is entirely dependent on the reproducing equipment. Try experiencing a film via a quality DVD Player, amplifiers, speakers and display. The sound and vision will not bear any comparison with that from the TV or MBP.

In the OP's example, obviously the MBP will sound inferior to the TV simply because of the different quality of electronics in the two systems and their physical sizes. The TV was, within limitations, designed to reproduce both sound and picture. The MBP was not and no amount of fiddling is going to make the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear!

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies, I know not to expect a great audio playback from the MBP, without additional speakers plugged in, but on my old Windows laptop you could hear the way it was intended, all be it a poorer version of the way it sounded on the telly, but levels were the same, It's not a great modern TV with any special sound systems, just a normal telly. The difference with the Mac is it levels out the music and speech in a completely different way which other laptops didn't do. Difficult to describe other than where the music comes in it's very distant and you know it just doesn't sound right

8. MaxBeagleton macrumors member

Sound track?

Does the DVD in question have different sound tracks? 5.1DTS vs 5.1DolbyHD vs Stereo? Maybe when you play it on your Mac, the default sound track was wrong.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

No, it's an old film, are there settings to change that on the MBP?

10. MaxBeagleton macrumors member

A DVD can have multiple video streams (like alternate camera angles) and multiple audio streams (different languages, comment tracks, DTS, Dolby, stereo, etc). If it is a commercial DVD, you can probably select which sound track to use on the DVD's main menu. Otherwise most DVD players allow you to switch the tracks, if present, during playback.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey Max, yes it does have the audio commentary etc, but this is just the actual film soundtrack that's not right. And yes they can all be changed on a DVD player, but just not on the MBP