Speakers out of sync when using iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jason from malm, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Jason from malm macrumors newbie

I found 2 pioneer xw sma speakers for half price and decided to give them a try for the home system instead of the expensive Sonos system.
    My sound bar that I use for my tv is also connected to my Apple TV via hdmi. The issue that I having is that my speakers are put of sync when I use the multiple speaker function on iTunes. The pioneers are perfectly in sync, but the soundbar that is connected to the Apple TV is delayed. Not much but enough to create an echo. I've tried connecting the optical cable instead but it was worse. Is it time for an airplay receiver??

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

does the soundbar have an HDMI out, and it the TV connected to that?
    It might be related to the auto-lip sync feature that some HDMI devices have, look for a setting or unplug the HDMI cable between the soundbar and the TV.

or another test would be to directly connect the aTV to your TV, and see if the sound is still delayed.

3. Jason from malm thread starter macrumors newbie

Still didn't help. Is there some kind of setting in iTunes or appletv that might help? There must be others with this issue.

4. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Did you run the setup? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Wireless-Speakers

All audio outputs should be sending their signals to amps/speakers from the same audio device, otherwise you're dealing with "latency" from two or more pieces of hardware (the mac, the TV, the aTV, etc.) Any powered speakers or devices that are getting audio signals via wifi or bluetooth are going to be delayed. I would have expected the Soundbar to be "earlier" if it has a wired connection.

Are your movies in sync and it's only your music that's out? That would a delay compensation scheme that's encoded into the movie's stream.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

airplay has synchronization built in.

i send to 4 locations from my laptop/mini with no problems. i mostly use airfoil so i can send from Pandora and Rdio. but iTunes works the same way, if not a little better.
    everything comes out in sync around the house

sources
    laptop - wireless
    mac mini - wired

outputs
    B&W a7 - wired
    denon 1912 AVR - wired
    express with speakers - wireless
    iHome IW2 - wireless

6. JamesPDX, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

It's the Latency

Wait, are you using these speakers all over the house, or is this your surround setup? If you're in one room with speakers in front of you and you have another set running in a different room, then they're going to be out of sync by about 1ms per foot. If you have a surround setup, read on:

So Airplay is "on" and not compensating per-device? Hmm. Then it's a latency problem. Are the separate wireless pairs in sync with each other? You're going to have to use a utility for this (I thought it was in the AirPlay Setup Menu) and there's probably one that came with your speakers. You may have to decide which output device is going to be your time reference. -I'd use the Denon and plug everything into it (including ethernet) and calibrate that stuff. That ARC function is very cool. http://www.cnet.com/products/denon-avr-1912-av-network-receiver-7-1-channel/specs/

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

I'm not the original poster that had the problem, and i'm well aware of how my stuff works thanks.

--------
    each of those is an airplay receiver, they are all over the house, 2 are at opposite ends of the same long skinny room (the living room / kitchen). 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom.
    i have other speakers connected to the denon for the 7.1

airplay can't be used for a surround setup, it's only a stereo signal. there really are no settings, outside of volume and audio adjustments (bass, treble, etc...)
    sync is handled automatically. no settings in an "airplay setup menu". no picking a "time reference"
    (airplay video handles 5.1 audio, but airplay audio does not)

Sonos which is similar, supports surround let's you configure the speakers as to which channel they are.