Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
So today I noticed a very faint song playing on my computer, and confirmed it wasn't anything I was playing. I am picking up a local radio station, I confirmed that because the radio host said the station name which is our local station. I can hear it when I crank the volume all the way up, but the signal is very quiet and has a bit of static.

I have the Logitech Z4i speakers, and I can hear it through the speakers, or with my headphones connected to the remote control for the speakers which has a headphone jack. I unplugged the speakers and listened through my iMac's speakers, and can confirm that it doesn't happen through them, so it's the speakers.

Is there anyway to fix this? I read that this happens because the power cable isn't grounded (and or the speakers have lousy shielding), which it isn't, it's just a regular two prong cord. Do I need to get new speakers with better shielding/a grounded power cord?

Thanks for you help. I've never had this happen before so I'm a bit confused.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Sound s like a typical case of RFI. This is being picked up by the active speakers wiring - particularly the mains supply lead.

This can be tricky to rectify. Usual cure is to use an RFI rejecting mains filter or mains cable such as Kimber.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
Buy some ferrite barrels on eBay for a buck or two and clip them to both the power cable and your input cable near the speakers.

Like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/4-x-TDK-EMI-Fil...006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf2491bc6

I second that recommendation. It fixed my GSM buzz.

Alright I'll get some of those soon. I hope it works. :D

Speaking of GSM buzz, do you mean that when you have a GSM phone near your speakers, they kind of buzz/get static and the sound kind of has a tapping-esque pattern/sound to it? If that makes sense?

Sometimes I hear a da-duh-da-duh-daaaaaa-duh sound through my speakers, and I've always assumed it was my iPhone causing it. My iPhone is always very close to my speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.