iPad Speakers - rMini vs Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Z3man, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the rMini and the Air's speakers. I have the rMini and find the speakers a little quiet for listening to music in the shower, i just wondered if the Airs are any louder.

Obviously i don't actually take the mini in the shower with me, i just lay it on the bathroom window ledge.

2. Souskei macrumors member

Hi!

I have an air and my girl has the rMini.

The rMini at max volume is about as loud as the AIR at about 50 percent volume. Also the air has much better low frequency and bass reproduction that the rMini.

I think the air has better speakers (obviously dues to size) and has some acoustics going in inside as well.

3. Z3man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, i didn't think there would be that much difference, i might have to try an Air out. The good thing about these iPads is you can just take them back if you don't like them or just want to try a different one.

4. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

While people like myself have to wait for them to come in stock, because others keep buying and then returning them. :mad:

I'm jesting with you, of course, but you can probably try this test in the store without having to buy one. Remember that these are tablets, they aren't designed to fill a whole room with sound.
    However if you did want something that could fill the room and remain small, I'd recommend the Bose mini sound link. It maybe small but it is so loud for it's size. This will fill a medium room.

[​IMG]
    http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-an...th-speakers/soundlink-mini-bluetooth-speaker/

5. Z3man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that speaker sounds brilliant after reading the reviews, just what i need even if a bit expensive, but i don't mind paying for quality. There is a currys/pc world superstore near by, i think they will have one on display so going to go and demo it. I only live in a small house so i might be able to use it as my main speaker.

6. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

http://www.beatsbydre.com/speakers/beats-pill-xl.html

7. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

That maybe a louder, but how's the quality? I know the Bose speaker is spot in with a nice balanced, but loud sound. Is the pill just a bass box with low quality trebles and mids? I've only used the Bose speaker myself, I've not had the beats speaker but have heard negative things in general from audiophiles [edit - towards the brand, not that particular product] over at the avforums.

----------

I definitely recommend trying it in person. It's a thing of beauty.

8. Z3man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried the beats and the bose out today, the bose was far better, it really is quite impressive. I will have to decide how much i need one of these now with them being quite expensive, will start trying to justify the spend in my mind.:)

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Bose r overrated

10. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I guess it depends on personal preference. I have used both brands before, but always default back to the Beats. The urBeats are my main set of earphones that I use. I have the Beats Pill (regular size not XL) and it is good for my needs. I live in an roommate stype apartment, so I don’t need to fill an entire neighborhood with sound. I have the Beats Pill in my room on the dresser. At half volume I can hear it in the bathroom, kitchen, and living room with no problem. I will admit that my earphones do give off more of a base that the pill. I don’t know much info about trebles, mids and all that jazz but I know the sound is good in both the urBeats and Pill.

11. Z3man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also tried out the speakers on the Air, i could only test them against the iPad 1 as Curry's don't have the rMini on display yet, and they didn't seem much different from the mini's, but i was in a quite noisy store with other music playing close by so probably not the bed test i have ever done.

12. OldRhodie macrumors member

Before spending too much of your hard-earned I recommend that you try the John Lewis branded bluetooth speaker/s. Great value for money - excellent sound without breaking the bank.

13. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Not this product though. Try it out. ;)

14. wpalomine macrumors member

9/10 times I agree. However, the Bose Soundlink mini is the 1 exception. Relative to its size, it does sound really good.

15. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

That's my point, there's more to music than just a good base line. I like the Bose because they pride themselves on balanced sound. Some products are overrated I grant you, but the sound link mini is fantastic product with 5* reviews everywhere.

16. Z3man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, my nearest JL is about 35 miles away, but i may just being taking a trip there this weekend so i may try them out.

17. OldRhodie macrumors member

18. Z3man thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there r cheaper alternatives

20. scupking macrumors 6502a

I have the Bose Soundlink II and it sounds amazing!!

21. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Yo-yo, as an audiophile, which iPad offers the truest music playback for old vinyl rips?

22. bobby68 macrumors member

Seriously...? :p

23. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Not an iPad, it doesn't play lossless as far as I know so you might as well play mp3s/aacs and ditch your vinyls for all the benefit you'll be getting from them with an iPad. :confused:

24. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Just got my Air and the speakers are... WOW...