Speakers scratched?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisi29, Nov 15, 2008.

1. chrisi29 macrumors member

Hey guys^^

Depending on how I look at the speakers of my new "late 2008 MacBookPro" they see to have some sort of dust or durt on them... or even scratches..
    Like I said it's only visible at a certain angle (they look perfectly normal when I look at them from above...) but still... Any idea on how I could fix it?

thnx!
    greets

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've heard you could just use a damp cloth to get it off. Adding a little water to the "screen cleaning cloth" that came with it should work.

3. chrisi29 thread starter macrumors member

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

It is a strange thing and it does clean up nicely with iKlear but comes back after a few days.

5. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I believe all MBPs have this. Mine does.

Just shoddy care at the factory. It's probably aluminum dust that was left through the carving stages and comes up through the speaker grilles when the fans get going.

Pretty sad.

6. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Yup mine has it too. I don't think theres much we can do about it.

7. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Same here. I think its just the way the laser's cut the holes out.

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If you took it apart and took the unibody off and lightly wet it and wiped it off I'm sure that would work. I don't think that they're scratches, so that's probably the only way to actually get it off.

9. Tvt5043 macrumors member

try buying new speakers for it and have them replaced

10. Mercellus macrumors regular

It's from the CNC process used when they create the Unibody enclosure, nothing to worry about.

11. dpett006 macrumors newbie

I have to agree with previous posts. Mine has the same "dusty" look at certain angles. Annoyed me at first, but it is something that I am going to have to live with.

Has anybody tried using a compressed air can to blow what seems to be "aluminum dust" out?

12. korpanopoly macrumors newbie

Scotch tape!

Apply scotch tape to the speaker grill. Rub it down to make strong contact. Peel it off after one minute!

Clean speaker grills.

Done, simple - that easy.

13. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

My speakers are perfect, nothing on them, no white marks, nothing.

14. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same here. My first one had a bit of the dust, the second one had a ridiculous amount, and the third one has nothing ;)

15. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

This is gonna sound a little ridiculous, but I got rid of them by using petroleum jelly :eek:

I noticed that the dust seemed to disappear when I ran my finger through them, and figured it was because of my hand oils. I tried a small area with some petroleum jelly [thereby simulating my hand oils] and presto. Seriously :eek:

Here's the thing, use a minuscule amount. I used almost none to achieve the effect, you don't want to clog up the tiny holes. Just apply it with a napkin, and wipe with a clean cloth to remove any excess from the surface. I'm assuming anything oil-based will work, but I wanted something with no scent.

16. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

Also, due to the finishing, the mbp's surface looked rippled from a certain angle.
    [​IMG]