Speakers to Samsung TV

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by macfilm, Nov 27, 2007.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi, sorry if this is not Apple related but I recenty purchased some speakers for my Samsung 40" HD ready TV, the speakers were also Samsung.

My question is that the cables seem to be fibre obtic, with 2 small wires on the end of each wire. Theres no where to plug these into my TV, do I need an adapter or something?

btw it is a 6 speaker set (6 leads)

Cheers for any help guys

2. 119576 Guest

Are they loudspeakers? If so, you'll need to connect them to an amplifier and run that into your TV.

What model/part number are the speakers and TV?

3. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, the TV is a Samsung LCD LE26R7 and the speakers are Samsung HT-X30

There just 5.1 surround sound speakers, sorry my knowledge of speakers isn't high lol

Thanks for any help :)

4. 119576 Guest

Sorry. I made that a bit complicated in my head.

The satellite speakers (the little ones) should plug into the back of the subwoofer (there should be designated spaces for the wires)

The subwoofer will connect - or so my experience tells me - to your DVD player (I'm presuming you got the whole home audio system)
    Which in turn connects to your TV.

5. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Theres only 2 holes on the back of the sub for one lead and I only got the speakers as I already have a DVD player.
    Is there like an addapter or cable I may need for this all to work?

Thanks for your responces

6. 119576 Guest

Hm. Did you get the manual with it?

Okay. On that particular system, all of the speakers connect to the back of the DVD player which serves as your amplifier.

So unless your current DVD player has space for each of the speakers; you may be out of luck.

I've attached a picture of what you'll have to look for on the back of your DVD player.

[edit]

The two wires (black and red, yes?) at the end of the cable connect to your speakers. The connecting plugs on the other end are what needs to go into your DVD player.

[edit 2] Out of curiosity (and possibly because it will help), what model is your DVD player?

7. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, well my DVD will be a PS3 hopefully next week...lol I assume that won't hold these speakers!
    So there's no way to get them into my TV then?

Cause it seems that ALL speakers I come across are designed for "home cinema systems" and always has to involve a dvd player....I just wanted them as general speakers for tv etc. Guess I made a wrong decision

8. 119576 Guest

Not as far as I'm aware. And yeah, the home cinema concept is very popular.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't like this 'DVD player/audio system combinations'. When the DVD player goes wrong, you're left with a useless set of speakers and surround sound system. Shame.

Still, connect the speakers to the appropriate speaker connections on the back-left (looking from behind) of the DVD player. If you want to connect your TV directly to the system, you get a phono lead and connect it to the AUX IN 1 on the back of your system. To connect your PS3, you connect the PS3's optical output (3rd connection from the left) to the 'Digital Input (optical)' on your Samsung speakers. :)

10. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

OK cheers anyway. Do you know of any sites that sell TV speakers that plug into the TV?

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There isn't really any such thing as 'TV speakers', there are just different speakers which you could use for loads of different jobs.

Sounds to me like you want an all-in-one surround sound system, but not a combo DVD player thingy (as much as I tend not to recommend them as I'm not a fan myself).

Try this. It's more expensive than what you have at the moment, but will do a FAR better job.

Failing that, your best bet is to go for a decent stereo setup. Good stereo >>> mediocre surround sound. Surround sound is MORE sound, not better sound :D

12. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

You can definitely connect your PS3 to an optical cable like the one you described.