Speakers w/ AirPort Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bwphoto, Aug 21, 2011.

1. bwphoto macrumors member

Hey everyone. I just set up my AirPort and want to use AirPlay but don't have a stereo receiver or any speakers. I've looked at a few of the 2.1 channel computer speaker setups but would like something a little more fulfilling since I'll be using it for the entire living room, not just my desk. I'd think bookshelf type would be perfect (fairly small space) but can't seem to find any that will work without a full on receiver.

Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks-

2. njaremka macrumors 6502

3. bwphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Not sure if you caught the part in my post about these types of setups being precisely what I'm trying to avoid. I'm after "real" speakers, not computer speakers, that will work with a single mini stereo.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You are absolutely correct in assuming that self-powered "computer speakers" are quite unsuitable for reproduction in the entire room - even for close listening, their quality is pretty dreadful!. In a small room, bookshelf speakers would be ideal. However, as you surmise, they do require an amplifier to drive them.

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

you will have a hard time finding "Real" speakers that do not require an external amplifier, which is why i recommended the computer speaker route.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The AP Express supports optical SPDIF digital CD-quality audio output also in addition to stereo analog output, so you could look at some predominantly Japanese mini-hifi systems and you should be able to find one or three that offers optical input (which was very popular during the minidisc era - which was a lot more successful in Japan than here in the west I might add.)

These hifi systems typically have much better sound quality than the generally thoroughly crappy plastic PC audio speakers you'll find in computer stores and the like. Of course, if you don't need a radio, CD player and so on, this approach might be overkill. But it might be something for you to consider, I dunno.

7. bwphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again, all. If I end up with something that rocks I'll be sure to post back.

8. Alinoe macrumors newbie