Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakesleepy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jakesleepy macrumors newbie

Purchasing the 15 high end model soon, looking for a recommendation on a good set of speakers to buy with. They do not have to be portable, they will be sitting on my desk. Looking in the 100-200 dollar range.

Thanks for any help!

2. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I just ordered M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers. They cost $150 on amazon. I heard really good things about them and were highly rated on cnet. The only drawback I have heard is they are larger than normal computer speakers but the sound quality is very good.

Attached Files:

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I was looking at the m- audio for extended travel and overseas with me instead of my logic 5.1 system. I hate having to lug the sub if I want just two of the speakers. So I've been eyeing some 2.0 systems and the m-audio's seem to have great reviews.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

ugghh.. OP, don't get logitech unless you want to spend big bucks and get the 350 dollar z-5500. get the m-audio or a set of swan speakers. they have the M10 as well as the D1080mkII. the latter is 2.0 like the m-audio. both are commonly owned by ppl on this forum.btw, the reason i said to avoid logitech is their speakers are all bass. the midrange is lacking and the highs aren't very much there. only their HIGH -end systems (read:5.1) are decent. If you want all the freq. represented not just the bass, then get the swans or the m-audio. also research audio-engine A series.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I had heard of the logitechs lacking before. I will admit, mine are very bass heavy, but thats because I crank the sub right up. Even with it right up though, the sound is still very crisp and clean. I took these over bose companion 3, and have not regretted it.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have Audioengine A2s; they are excellent… but if you if have the space [and the funds], I'd get the A5s (I didn't have the space :()

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I can stand behind the M-AUDIO AV 40 speakers, they are phenomenal especially at their price. Beats the Logitech sets including the Z5500s hands down and i've owned both.

Theyre bigger than 'normal desktop speakers' as theyre mainly used for reference monitoring for musicians but are great desktop speakers and general audio listening - theyre alot better than the basic desktop speakers you may get from Creative, Logitech, etc.

You wont be disappointed.

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Swan M10s are beautiful. If I could go back and rebuy speakers, these would be the ones...
    [​IMG]

9. CubeHacker, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Swans are great but I would personally stay away from their low end models. The M200's are excellent however.