Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by .JahJahwarrior., Jul 6, 2007.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

In my room at home, I have a 130 watt Peavey amp from the 70's, run through a 4x12 guitar cab, Peavey 4x10 column speaker, a 2x10+tweeter radioshack speaker (former drum monitor) and a 1x12 cab (former horn section monitor). I can't take it all to college. (not to mention, I have a Kustom column like the Peavey and two other 1x12+tweeter household speakers that I'm not using at the moment.) Infact, I don't know if I'll take anyof it to college.

So I like good audio, but heck, my current system is mainly loud. It's not stereo even. I'd like to look into a cheap but decent speaker setup, incase I decide I don't really want to haul my gear to college. $30-$50 perhaps? Can anyone tell me what they've got in that price range and how they like it? Thanks!

2. atarigraffx macrumors member

i recently found and fell in love with a new style of music called Dubstep!
    its the kinda beats that shake and rattle the furniture in your room around.
    so to really feel these mixes i been downloaded i upgraded my speaker set up to the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 THX cert and it even says Lucasarts on the speaks. compact 3 speaker set up to my Mac Pro and it was a bargin @ $160..

highly recommend!!!
    especially if you like to watch DvDs on your mac

3. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Go with a studio monitor speaker system man, you won't regret it :cool:

Look at KRK, M-Audio, Alesis, and Yamaha.

Either that, or the Bose Companion series of multimedia speakers - will blow your mind, especially given the size. They get LOUD, too :D

I went from Bose Companion 3, to Klipsch Ifi, and now KRK studio monitors. Studio monitors hands down, but Klipsch and Bose are the second top on my list.

The Klipsch Ifi have some edge over the Bose, but not by too much. The Ifi subwoofer is also one of the best you can obtain for under $400.

Peace

4. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

What I'm Using

Well I got a 5.1 subwoofer system - Altec Lansing for £50 from Comet (UK), and its a 501 series i think. It was crap, but if you ajust your eq. it can be quite good. And then I also got (Comet again) some logitec 2.1 speakers for £30, and theyre quite good.
    I highly reccomend the logitecs - and i would have thought that they sell them in the US.

5. illweather macrumors regular

If you like "good audio" then you'll have to pay a bit more than $30-50!!! That's nothing, even in the used market. Maybe sell some of the gear you got to help fund a better system. You might be able to find an old stereo reciever or integrated amp for around $30-50, but speakers that are even okay are very hard to find at this price. When it comes to budget audio, don't cut corners on the speakers; you'll probably need to spend around $150 min to get a decent stereo system (and that's not much, so good luck).

Try Craigslist, audiogon.com, ebay, and local used electronic stores. If you can find some decent speakers, then getting a basic amp/receiver to drive em is easy. You can always upgrade the amp later.

6. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Any decent wireless speaker systems anyone know of?

7. illweather macrumors regular

Where you at in the NW? I'm in Portland, so could point you to some local stores.

In general I'd say don't get wireless speakers, unless you don't mind paying a few hundred (min) and/or don't care much about sonic quality.

My 2 cents...

8. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

Do you have an ETS/Euronics near you.

In the UK, We have ETS, well, theyre really EURONICS, and anyway, then sell wireless speakers, good ones, at a good price. You should check them out cos they never stock crap

9. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

KRK RP5 sounds great for the money. I was going to buy a pair last week but was superseded by a new Nikkor Lense :)

10. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

sorry, lost track of this post. am in vancouver canada waiting for the next ice age and in the mean time wanting to pimp the mac. though given the avail. technology that wireless speakers would be the way to go but not seeing much, thanks for your input .