Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lazymuoio, Sep 17, 2007.

1. lazymuoio macrumors member

Looking to buy some speakers in the 200-350 us$ range, any recommendations as to what to get or avoid? thanks guys

2. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Harmon-Kardon Sounsticks II. Very good speakers...sound great, awesome bass, and look amazing. I got mine for about 120$ on sale. They go for about 160$-ish. They aren't too expensive, either. I can crack the subwoofer+ volume all the way up and they don't blow out. I really recommend these speakers.

3. lazymuoio thread starter macrumors member

thanks dude, how do they compare to the bose ones which are slightly more pricey and do they take up a lot of space, im living in a dorm room so i dont have much room

4. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I personally think that the Bose are overpriced. You can get great quality speakers that are just as good in other brands. I personally cannot hear much of a difference between the two. The Soundsticks dont take up much space. About 2 inches wide and 10 inches tall each. The subwoofer is about 8 inches wide and 10 incheastall.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Bose all the way for me!

I continue to recommend Bose. I have the Bose Companion 3 speakers hooked up to my MacBook Pro and I could not be happier. The sound quality is outstanding and for being such small speakers they surprise me at just how loud they can get. :)

6. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

I have used the JBL Creature speakers as well as the Bose Companion 3 speakers. I'm currently using a set of studio monitors (better for sound accuracy with Logic) but I was quite happy with the Bose speakers. The only thing I didn't like about the Bose speakers was the wired remote unit that must be connected. I ended up hiding it under the desk.

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

8. roker macrumors regular

roker

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I just ordered the Creatures today. What did you think of them? :)

10. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I have the Bose Companion 5 speakers.... but the 3s are just as good. Can't say enough how good Bose sounds :)

11. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

As mentioned in another thread, I have Harmon Kardon Soundsticks in one room and Creatures in another. The HKs seem, somehow, to have more 'punch' and fill a big room with very clear sound.

The Soundsticks feel like they have slightly less 'oomph' but produce (to my - admittedly knackered - ears) a gentler, fuller sound that I find very pleasing.

I keep meaning to swap the two sets of speakers over to see how much of the difference is the product, and how much is the room acoustics. I may get off my butt and do it in the next couple of days and report back ...

Cheers!

Jim

12. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

The Logitech Z-2300 seems to be getting rave reviews from my buddies ;)

13. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Stay the hell away from Bose. Bose is well marketed, expensive crap.

Ask anyone who knows anything about audio equipment and they will tell you the same thing. I had the Bose Companion 3's and they sounded like **** and I paid through the nose for them. I returned them within 5 days.

I bought these instead and couldn't be happier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000062VUO/104-5778507-4443120

I have the Bose 3-2-1 system that I got as a gift (so I couldn't return it without insulting the giver)

My 2.1 Klipsch speakers sound as good as the Bose 3-2-1 and they were 1/10th the price.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose

14. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Now thats just a crazy rant. I'll admit Bose isn't then end all, be all, but they make a good product as do many other manufacturers. Some people love Bose, some hate Bose.