Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carrielee, May 21, 2008.

1. carrielee macrumors newbie

Hi - my husband recently purchased our first iMac and we love it. For his birthday, I would like to buy some wireless outdoor speakers to use with itunes on our deck (~ 20 feet away). I don't know much about computers or speakers, especially macs, so i was looking for some advice. Will it be easy to get the music to the speakers? Is there anything specific I should look for? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. carrielee thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks great but not in my budget unfortunately. I was hoping to find just speakers for a few hundred$$. is this possible?

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

http://www.evolvespeakers.com/ I have heard that these are good. They have an ipod dock but they can also be used with another system. I think they are $250. Don't quote me on that and please research them. I think I would like them.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

you could buy an airport express, and set it up as airtunes, then buy some good 2.1 Pc speakers, this will work fine, and will be around $250 - $300

He will be able to control the music with iTunes, and he will also have an airport express which he could take on holiday etc when he buys a MacBook ;)

6. jwalker99 macrumors newbie

definitely recommend the airport express

as MattZani suggested. the airport express is $99, and you should be able to find a decent pair of speakers for less than $100. also, if you have an ipod touch or an iphone, you can use it as a remote control with itunes using a program like alloysoft's signal or iosoft's remote buddy. you can also stream non-itunes content using a program called airfoil.

the airport express is ultra portable, so when your not using the speakers on the deck you can easily move it to a different room.

the airport express/ipod touch remote solution is a much cheaper alternative to sonos.