Speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chris57, Jun 7, 2008.

1. chris57 macrumors member

I've been wanting to buy new computer speakers for a while now. I currently have some "Cyber Acoustics" with 2 satellites and a subwoofer. The power cord goes into one of the satellites, for what its worth. I am actually very impressed with the audio quality of these things. I've had them for about 3 years, and they channel separation and bass are great. I don't want to critique high and midrange because I don't really know how. While listening to a good quality MP3, there isn't much that I would change about these. But, I need new speakers because the input cord is screwed up, so i have to wiggle it to get the sound to come out of all the speakers.

My price range is preferably under $50, but I will go up to no more than $70 if the speakers are really phenomenal. Better quality than these speakers is a must, I don't want to spend more on speakers that sound the same. I listen to mostly Alternative Rock and some pop. Can anyone recommend some good speakers for me?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've heard them, but if you really like the Cyber Acoustics that much, maybe you should just buy a new one, three years isnt bad for $50 speakers.

But, I've heard these and I would pay $100 for these. You are going to get some extra speakers and some more power and the overall sound quality should be better.

3. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Logitech speakers in my opinion give the best bang for your buck.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

totally disagree...creative labs

5. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I know these are about $100 over your budget, but I absolutely love my HK Soundsticks II. They are IMO the best speakers ever.I highly recommend them.

Don

7. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Another vote for logitech here. You can get the Z2300 for around $70 if you shop around on the internet. The 8 inch subwoofer is quite big, so if you're tight on space you may consider the Z4s instead. They're both great speakers, and their looks aren't shabby either.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Personally I prefer tower speakers and a stereo receiver. But if you do not want the expense and bulk.

The harmon kardon iSub and soundsticks that I use with the iMac.

9. chris57 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've heard a few Logitech models and I've loved what I've heard. I'm having a hard time making a decision! I think I'm going to go out to Best Buy and try out a few models.

10. dadeef macrumors member

no no no on the Logitechs, they are a general peripheral company not an audio company. Their speakers are generally crappy compared to other brands like Klipsch. Creative are a no go too at your price point. I would get the Kilpsch Promedia 2.1's. I got them for 70 on eBay, I think you can still find it at that price.

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Agree 100%.

Get Klipsch multimedia speakers if you want a sub or M-Audio desktop monitors if you don't want a sub. Klipsch Promedia 2.1s and M-Audio AV-40s are amazing and provide much more accurate tight sound over Creative/Logitech speakers.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What are you talking about...my creatives are $58 from Amazon....

Klipsch is a high-end speaker company, but as good as the Promedia's are for computer speakers, they aren't any better then the creatives. If you want true audio you have to spend 5-fold...the Logitech's arent bad, but they aren't the best option, if you don't want the 5.1, either the Klipsch or the Logitech will more then meet your needs

13. dadeef macrumors member

What are you talking about? promedia's are definitely better than your creatives. Sorry to disappoint you but Creatives are not good at any price point. Just because you have more speakers does not mean it is better. I would take a good 2.1 over a crappy 5.1. At his price point he can get the promedia's and it would be the best option.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...I have tested both and own a set of Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's... I own Mackie HRmk2's, Behringer Truths and a KRK sub for my studio. The sound of both isn't going to compete with a studio, but there isn't that much of a noticeable difference between the superior Creatives. I've owned everything from Dell "Harman Kardon" to Altec Lansing FX6021's and with computer speakers they peak at a certain quality. The Klipsch are a more efficient, but they aren't a set of Icon's. The Creatives are going to be better sounding. Creative Gigaworks are def. better then my Klipsch Ultra 5.1's. Also both options will most likely sound better then your old Cyber Acoustics.

Do your research before you start making false statements...you had to click one link before you gave someone wrong information. Thank You :D

15. macintosh tech macrumors member

Yes, lets argue about something as subjective as sound. :rolleyes:

Audioengine A5, that Bamboo set looks nice :D