Speakers??????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nitro1, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I am getting into audio editing and i am looking for a good set of reference speakers. I need these to sound as close to what the finished product will sound like as possible. I have heard about the Logitech Z-5500 set and i am still unsure. I would like to use the optical audio out on my Mac Pro but i still need the speakers.
    Does anyone have any idea's

Thank you in advance.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not the richest person so cheaper but not to cheap. I need quality, so i guess under 400 for the set. I do not have a good place for 5.1 so i am think 2 or 2.1 would be best. They will be sitting on my desk aimed at me.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are not using 5.1, the you really don't need to use the optical out. There are some great powered speakers from the likes of Swan or M-Audio.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would recommend the M-Audio Studiophile BX5a speakers or Swans M10 (though tough to come by).

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you do not think the optical audio if not 5.1 would not be the best option for the best sound. That is my whole goal. Best sound i can do.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

For the kind of money you are talking about, the DAC in the iMac will be no worse than what you can find elsewhere. Put more money into the speaker, that is where the best money will be spent.

8. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI i have a 2008 Mac Pro. But point taken. I will spend the money on the speakers. Thanks

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sorry. Didn't see your sig. Most people asking this question seem to own an iMac. The same principle applies, as you have guessed. Good luck and try to listen to some first.