Speaking about retro - AppleWorks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pistooli, Mar 11, 2012.

1. pistooli macrumors regular

I remember to use Claris in 1992ish, and to feel some nostalgy, I dug up my iBook restore disc, which had AppleWorks in the optional packages.

It installed without any problems on the iBook G4, running Leopard.

Attached Files:

2. xinu macrumors regular

damn I would love to get Original OS X 10.5, iLife-06 and Logic 7 DVD:s from somewhere... Typical as it is, I bought old PowerBook and it came with dvd-rw burned OS disk and nothing else..

Apple really should make a elegant gesture and put old PPC softwares for dirt-cheap pricing or for free to us old-school fanboys :eek:

3. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

I am just so lucky to have a family license (Mac Box Set) for Leopard together with iLife'09 and iWork'09. Perfect companion to all of my ppc machines.

Attached Files:

4. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

AppleWorks is still the fastest word processor out for PPC macs... Before i went Intel i used it to write everything, then i'd move over to Word/Pages to format and print.

5. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I never used that software, mainly because I didn't even had computer on that year, but how would it compare with for example openoffice/libreoffice?

6. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

Apple finished selling AppleWorks in 2007.

It is dated as a sw. iWork is better imho in all counts, except speed. AppleWorks is fast on todays (or better to say yesterdays :)) machines.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

AppleWorks did have a Carbon patch, so it runs on OS X up to 10.6.8 and stupid fast at that. Its installed on my quad G5, MacBook Pro, PowerBook G4's and G4 Cube.

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

In terms of pure software performance, simplicity, and stability, AW was a very nice app. And of course since apple wrote it, it worked extremely well on virtually any mac that was capable of running it, which was ALOT of machines dating back to the days of the original ppc cpu's......

For some reason, I kept it installed on every mac I owned, with the sole exception being my current MBP..... there were features of it that I found so simple & straightforward, as well as extremely fast, that I used it for ALOT of projects that did not require massive complexity or heavy duty formatting.

9. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Don't forget the Windows version that they made of this - useful if you need to run it on a Lion-based Mac, given that it still works on 64-bit Windows 7 ;)

Attached Files:

• AW.jpg
      AW.jpg
      File size:
      216.8 KB
      Views:
  10. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

you do understand how hilarious that sentence is :D

11. HBlaine macrumors newbie

Hey, I use Appleworks 6 almost every day, mainly for the Draw module, which I use for doing title chain diagrams. I generally run it on either a 15" AlBook running Tiger, or a 12" running Leopard.

If I'm really feeling retro, I may fire it up on either my 3400c, or my Wallstreet, both running OS 9.1. THAT's the coolest thing in the world! :cool:

12. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Back when Apple was cool, hard to believe that was only a few years ago.