Spec Differences in Macbook and MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by soccersquirt82, Apr 19, 2010.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I was looking on the apple website and found some subtle differences when they listed the specs for the MB and MBP. Maybe they are the same and the people at apple just wrote them differently? Hopefully you guys came help me out!

MB: 2GB DDR3 memory
    MBP: 4GB
    I know the difference between 2 and 4 GB. But what is this DDR3? Is that type of memory the same in the MBP? If not, how are they different?

MB: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    MBP: NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
    I know they're different graphic cards. Which one is better? I would assume the MBP since they are known for the better graphics but the number is lower?

On different MPB versions:
    -Intel Core 2 Duo v Intel Core i5 v Intel Core i7. I know they are different processors, but how big is the difference? When is the difference noticeable?
    -Intel HD Graphics on the bigger screens. Graphics in HD?

And finally, the different GHz processors. How big of a difference are .2GHz (2.4 v 2.66)? When is it noticable?

Sorry for my stupid questions and thanks for answering!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Both use the same DDR3 RAM.

The 320M is about 80% faster than the 9400m. nVidia simply changed their numbering scheme. The i5 is faster than an equivalent-clocked C2D. Intel "HD" graphics are the builtin graphic controllers on the i5 and i7 CPUs. They are considerably slower than the nVidia GPUs in the laptops. Difference between 2.4 and 2.66 will not be noticeable.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

The 13" pro has more ram and a little bit better graphics card. The performance is not going to be much better, maybe 10-15% faster at the most. The pro does appear to have better battery life though.

4. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I think I am planning to get the MBP, mainly for its firewire port. How hard is using a 400 firewire cord with the firewire 800 port? Simple adapter or more complicated?