Spec for Gaming & Graphic Design ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Grockel, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Grockel macrumors member

I'm about to order an iMac 27" as a family computer and could do with some advice on BTO options. This is my first ever apple product, and it's going to have to last a while.

The two main uses that set the boundaries are
    - my own interest in gaming (mostly strategy / role playing) , and
    - my daughter studying Graphic Design -so wanting to use the Adobe Creative Suite.

Apple are suggesting that the top 27" would meet our needs without upgrades. Which would obviously save some money.

However from reading some other threads I'm wondering if upgrading both the GPU and CPU might not be a good idea. Fusion being a bonus if finances stretch to it.

Thoughts appreciated ?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

A MacBook Air could fulfill both of these requirements. The top iMac will positively blow them out of the water.

3. cirus macrumors 6502a

For anyone who is going to be gaming, i would point them away from the hd 4000 not towards it.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

For strategy or role playing games, the HD4000 is quite sufficient. Crysis 2, possibly not.

5. Snarl macrumors member

I agree with Cirus, for gaming dedicated graphics are the way to go. Intel's Graphics (HD4000) have come a long way but they're not there yet.

6. cirus macrumors 6502a

depends on the game, now maybe but in a couple years, probably not.

7. NJelect macrumors member

Advanced 3D games require top shelf hardware that at the present time is only available on the PC footprint (non-mac).

However, if your playing WoW or other role-playing online games the iMac will perform fine.
    Remember, adobe products work fine on the PC but in truth the iMac display is more attractive to the eye.

8. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I don't think I would say that. Sure, the Mac Mini isn't going to cut it for hardcore gaming, but the too of the line iMac is a beast.

9. BuntaFujiwaraaa macrumors newbie

I will be doing graphic work too! been looking around but no one have been giving any solid advice on purchasing a 27 iMac.

Will it be worth the money to upgrade from an i5 to i7? Or should i use the money on upgrading the graphic card instead? Or should i do both cause it really matters?

I will be doing Photoshop & Illustrator, both print (large files) and web. I would most probably be opening Photoshop, Illustrator, some coding programs, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, iTunes all at the same time. I seldom do heavy video editing or 3D rendering.

Please any advice! I can't wait to get my iMac and my Macbook Pro has kind of reached its limit.

10. NJelect macrumors member

Graphical intentions lead toward upgrading the CPU along with the video card.

Truthfully, the added cost concerning the above is not a lot, performing the latter during the configuration process is important since the warranty will not be subjective should you decide later and attempt to perform the upgrade yourself.

:)