Spec snap on cases

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aimeeinohio, Mar 7, 2011.

1. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Anyone use one of the Spec snap on cases? I've been looking at them, but read a couple of reviews that said they didnt like the added weight on the id o the computer. Thought I'd check opinions here :D

2. diannao macrumors regular

It does add some weight, so if you're using your MBP on a bus or propped up on your knees in bed the lid may have to be periodically adjusted. I guess in theory it could wear out the hinge faster, but IMO the lid is the part of the exterior of the MBP you most want to protect from scratches/impacts.

3. jenlevin macrumors regular

they add some weight, but a fairly insignificant amount - if it were a mb air i'd be worried about the difference, but the pros are 4.5-6.6 lbs to begin with. i have it, and am happy with it.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I have one on my machine - weight is no issue, maybe adds a bit, but nothing to worry about. It will also increase the size of your computer a tad bit. It fits a little bit tighter in my carrying case, but still not much to worry about.

I wouldn't let it keep you from getting one

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I had one on my 4 year old 17" MBP, when I recently brought it in for a dead GPU (don't ask) the genius was like "wow, has this thing ever been used?" I recently got a new machine and guess what the first thing I put on it was? Yep, a Spec hard shell. Seems it is even better on the new model than the old.

6. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I don't really think that much weight was added with the Speck case on. Nor with the Incase perforated, but I didn't like how it clipped on and I read that someone's hinge was destroyed by the Incase :eek:. And I'd rather have the case on than risk denting the lid and bottom of this laptop. And someone even asked me how I got a black 15 inch MacBook Pro :D

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I never liked spec cases because they always trapped dirt inside the case which required constant removal. Plus, plastic doesn't conduct heat nearly as well as aluminum does, so I believe you are trapping heat within the computer itself.

I've always preferred soft cases that you can slide your laptop into when not in use. Doesn't add a lot of weight while letting you still feel the aluminum case (cheaper plastic feels weird).

8. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Does the Speck case limit the angle of the screen like the Incase reviews state that one does?

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I like my spec case, it lets me tattoo the computer to my hearts content, without actually sticking anything on it.

It does add some weight, but not enough to be a problem.

It probably won't wear out the screen hinge for me, because 99% of the time I have the monitor back as far as it will go.

I don't believe it limits the angle of the screen by much, but remember you're going to be putting a shell on the case, so things will touch before they normally would.

10. xdbuix macrumors 6502

just got a speck. It adds minimal weight and the angle of the hinge is also minimal imo.

Great purchase for me, and it comes highly recommended.

11. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I have a speck see thru shell and its great. It doesnt interfere with the angle of the screen, as you can push it all the way back. I had one on my old 08 aluminum Macbook and when it came time to see it looked brand new which helped with resale value. The one thing that does suck is it is a PITA to remove the screen shell, but since i rarely do i dont mind.

12. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

13. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had one on my 2010, but I really don't think I will use it when my 2011 arrives. I just can't stop thinking about a possible heat issue. I mean the plastic does get quite hot when using it, so it must at very least keep some heat in.

14. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

15. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Ive run tests using ( the ever intensive ) Photoshop
    With the speck case on and off.
    It was a whole whopping 1 degree difference.

I've never had the lid issue with said weight of the case
    The plastic gets hot, but I feel that it's easier to handle then the hot aluminum

16. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea I have to agree with babyt, that the hot plastic is a lot easier on the skin than the bare aluminium.

17. Miss Terri, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

The Speck See-Thru for the 13" MBP weighs 1 pound. The 13" MBP weighs 4.5 pounds, so that is around a 23% weight gain. Whether that is "much" is somewhat subjective, but it was a concern for me.

(BTW, I found the 1# figure in some places, and then a much smaller figure in one particular place on the Speck website. I called Speck to ask about it and they confirmed that the lower figure was an error, and that it was actually 1# for the case.)

Edit: Looks like Speck has corrected their website and does show 17 oz now.

The case also adds some thickness. Again, whether that is a problem or not is subjective.

Miss Terri

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

No way does the 13" case weight 1lb. Impossible. My 17" speck case doesn't even weigh anything near that.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just got a spec see-thru. It seems to work well. I bought it cause the aluminum is too slippery for me; I keep the MBP sitting on the floor by my chair in the living room and I kept dropping it when I picked it up.

20. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

You're right, in a way; it weighs more than 1 lb. actually: 17oz. (1 pound, 1 oz.).

From Speck's website, for the 13" unibody MBP (and confirmed by calling them):

Speck2.jpg

speck.jpg

It seems unlikely to me that Speck would overstate the weight, since most people would like as light a case as possible.

Miss Terri

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Must be shipping weight.

22. Miss Terri, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

That's not what they told me when I called them to ask. They said that was the weight of the case.

Corroborated by Amazon, by the way. Note that the weight is listed as 1 lb. and the shipping weight is listed as 2 lbs:

speck3.jpg

23. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
  24. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Great - actual weights would be really good to have here, vs. the manufacturer's published weights. How much did yours weigh when you put it on a scale without the computer in it?

(I actually have a Speck See-Thru for my MBP 13" that I bought and have not used, so it is off the computer. But I don't have an accurate scale at home for that small a weight. Maybe I'll bring it in to work and put it on the postal scale. If so, I'll report it back to this thread.)

25. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I have one on my 2008 13" WhiteBook... the added "weight" contributes to the protection factor in my opinion.