Spec suggestions needed for new 27" Retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by paragonj, Oct 13, 2015.

1. paragonj macrumors member

I've been planning on ordering a 27" Retina as soon as they updated them. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of TB3/USB-C for future proofing reasons as I'd like to get at least 5 years out of the machine. I still think I'm going to order one but am having trouble deciding on specs and wanted to get some suggestions from people. This will be for home use, no heaving gaming. Probably the most intensive thing would be DSLR photo editing (personal, not professional). I know that I am going to go pure SSD and use an external drive for my Photos and Media. Also plan to max out memory aftermarket.

So my questions are...

1) Do you think 256GB will be sufficient given the external drive for Photos/Media or should I spring for the 512GB?
    2) Will the base 3.2GHz and M380 be fine or should I go for either of the non-BTO up sells on processor/video card? I know I'm not going to spring for the BTO i7 or 4GB video card.

Going to 512GB and processor/video upgrades would be a real tough pill to swallow for my wallet but I don't want to buy something that won't last long enough.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I would recommend storing your photo library on external HD's and only use the internal storage for OS X, applications and files you access daily. I would also recommend the 256GB SSD and for the video card go with the base card for photo use.

Just my opinion, if you intend to store your photos on internal storage then determine the amount of your current photo library and then determine how much additional storage you will need over the years. That is really hard to do!!

3. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely planning on storing my photos and media externally.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I agree with rkaufmann. There's no need to overspend given your needs. Get the base with the 256 Flash. That machine is already more than you need.