Spec work and other items

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by hsotnicaM, Jun 27, 2007.

1. hsotnicaM macrumors regular

Since there is a thread on this MB asking others to create a logo in exchange for an iPod or Apple TV, there seems to be this issue going around about spec work and "cutting oneself short."

My opinion is this and then I'll let the beating begin:
    Is it not my choice to charge what I wish for work I do? If I charge too much, no one buys. If I charge too little, I can't operate a business properly. If someone asks me to dig a hole and I agree on the wages, why do you care how much I charge? Are you jealous because I charge less?

There are millions of people working today that should be making more but they don't. Either, because they are afraid to ask, can't negotiate what they are worth, they're satisfied with what they're making, they can't let go of the job, or maybe, just maybe they do the work because they like what they do and want to see the company succeed without being greedy.

Please enlighten me on this issue and why you're so upset...oh yeah no need for name calling. We're all adults, let's try to keep it that way.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The reasons No!Spec gives differ from mine and my immediate design community, but are valid as well. No!Spec's mindset is that the creative ultimately suffers, due to the fact that there is little to no working relationship between designer and client (In reality there should be an infinitely larger amount of give and take than we see in the 'logo for peanuts' thread).

I agree, but for me it's the fact that the prize seldom lines up with the value of the work required to create an effective design. And that's fine for people whose logo designs are worth an iPod. However, the outcome is typically negative in one way or the other- either the 'client' gets designs worthy of $300 (crap), or the client gets great designs from someone who put the appropriate amount of work and research into it, but in doing so has been compensated at about minimum wage or worse.

I'm not threatened by 'designers' who do work for peanuts. I just like to throw up a warning to those out there who have talent that they shouldn't sell themselves short. The first identity I ever sold, maybe nine years ago, went for about $1500. That's dirt cheap.