Special Charter Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by amit-battan, Feb 3, 2010.

1. amit-battan macrumors newbie

Hi All

'Calle Mare de Déu de' this comes from database , and I am using xml parser to covert it into Array but when control comes to respective node then exception occur NSPlaceholderString initwithstring:] nil argument on snow leapord and on leapord exception occur but alert does not come.

when I replace 'Calle Mare de Déu de' with 'Calle Mare de Deu de' then it works ok.

Is It only due to 'é', means I want to know if NSString does not supported 'é' or any other characters

Thanks
    Amit Battan

2. skunkworker macrumors regular

What encoding are you using? Try using something like NSUTF16StringEncoding. If it is UTF8 then the maximum possible amount of unique characters is 2^8 = 256. So with UTF16 then 65,536 characters are allowed and probably the "é" as well.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

This statement is wrong. UTF8 supports all Unicode characters and code-points. It does so using variable-length sequences with a specific format.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Nevertheless, the overall comment may be valid: the problem may be the encoding.

4. skunkworker macrumors regular

Yeah I was wrong about using UTF-8, which is variable from 1 to 4 octets (usually 8 bits).