Special Edition Macbook in late 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yukyuklee, Feb 21, 2011.

1. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Hi,

Just wondering if there was a special edition macbook made in late 2008 before they put the Pro label on it? Only reason why I'm asking is because my friend is trying to sell me it. He said it was called "Unicorn"? Can anyone give me some input please? :)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lolwot

your buddy is smoking crack, but he IS correct.

There was an AluminumBook that was released in 2008, alongside the new Macbook Pros.

I don't believe it had a backlit keyboard but it most certainly did not have a firewire port.

So people complained, and in 2009 it was released as the 13" Macbook Pro + Firewire Port (and perhaps an upgraded screen as well).

3. yukyuklee thread starter macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Lol yeah when he told me Unicorn I started to laugh. I guess he was trying to Hype it up...
    Also it does have a backlit keyboard. He wants $750 for it with about 2yr Apple care on it. Just wondering if it was worth it?
    Right now I have a 2010 Macbook Pro, but i'm just looking for one for my gf.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, I have that computer. The higher spec model has backlit keys (2.4GHz), while the 2.0GHz model does not. It's not really a special edition, it's just a model that changed names quickly. No idea where your friend got "unicorn" either, although we jokingly call it the collectors edition here at MacRumors.

5. yukyuklee thread starter macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Just wondering if the screen was also Led? Because everything is the same specs as my current model except for the nvidia 320m his is the 9400

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's LED backlit like yours, although it doesn't have quite as good color reproduction (nothing that you would notice unless you knew about it though)

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, IMO, it's easy enough to notice the color reproduction if you look at anything with significant amounts of black. The newer models are way better than my collector's edition. Just one of many things I missed out on (although it was free, so I can't complain).

jW

8. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

As the above posts said there was an Aluminum MacBook in 08 before it became the "Pro" I have the 2Ghz Model and it';s a good machine. I'm typing on it now and see no need for a faster processor as all my heavy duty work is done on pc( :( )
    If you want it buy it especially since it's a 2.4 with backlit keyboard. :)

9. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

LMFAO!

get the unicorn! its special

10. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

In Oct '08, Apple introduced the Aluminum Unibody (not Unicorn.. still laughing) MacBook with either a 2.0GHz without backlit keys or 2.4GHz with backlit keys. These were the first MacBooks without a FireWire port which caused quite a stir. Personally I got used to attaching my external drive via USB quickly but it was very upsetting for those using video cameras and other devices. This new style also had internal differences like a non-removable battery (kinda), a hard drive compartment able to outfit a taller hard drive (sweet), and a new configuration for the RAM chips (stacked). Other differences include a change from a Mini-DVI port to the Mini DisplayPort, a multiple-touch glass trackpad, a Nvidia 9400M graphics, LED backlit display, and DDR3 system memory.

About 8 months later, Apple re-added the FireWire port and SD card slot and renamed this model the MacBook Pro 13". This made the Aluminum MacBook a "Limited Edition" (I don't know about Special Edition) because of it's short life as a MacBook.

11. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Well said. :)

12. yukyuklee thread starter macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

hahahaha i'm going to check it out tomorrow. I'll make sure I'll put a horn on it and take a pic for you guys!