Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minchman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
My iPad 3 screen would go blank after updating to iOS7.0. (after using for a few minutes)

Screen then comes back on when I upgraded to iOS 7.0.2 (full download, not delta)... but again, goes blank after a few minutes of use.

I took the iPad to the Apple Store and the genius said they'll do a factory restore. Now the iPad works fine.

He said that when they do download/restore with their in-house servers, it's actually very different than what the public can do. He said when they do this, it can also restore the "firmware" of the devices.

Is this true?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The end result and procedure isn't much different that what you can do at your home with iTunes. The only difference is that sometimes a different restoration tool is used and the IPSW comes from a local machine in the Apple Store rather than being downloaded from the internet.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
The end result and procedure isn't much different that what you can do at your home with iTunes. The only difference is that sometimes a different restoration tool is used and the IPSW comes from a local machine in the Apple Store rather than being downloaded from the internet.

I'm guessing behavior scan for that different restoration tool?

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
It's the same ipsw that's available at home to everyone. It's just stored on the computer so a)it's faster and b)more reliable. DFU is a wonderful thing..haha

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've honestly never heard that. DFU can very useful. Most of the time a erase all content and settings fixes things since the firmware is read only, but DFU is a sure way to get a fresh start top to bottom..along with several other uses.

DFU mode does nothing different or extra than a regular iTunes restore. Nothing at all.

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
DFU mode does nothing different or extra than a regular iTunes restore. Nothing at all.

Yes, they both restore the phone. I have used DFU mode to solve iTunes errors messages when trying to update as well as phones stuck on the apple logo after an update. Since it powers on the iPhone (and correct me if I'm wrong) and skips the boot loader you are able to force iTunes to restore the phone in cases like I stated above. Normal recovery mode works when there aren't issues like these, but personally I've had DFU solve problems when a normal plug into iTunes restore wouldn't.

Both restore yes, just one loads the boot loader and one doesn't.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple Store employees are explicitly told to not use DFU mode when restoring and iDevice.

According to my BF who is a Genius this is not true. They have been told that a DFU is generally not be necessary but they are not forbidden to do it if they see fit.

And FYI, odd shut downs, especially when it's possible the person has preview software on their device, is one of the times they have been told to try a DFU.

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
according to my bf who is a genius this is not true. They have been told that a dfu is generally not be necessary but they are not forbidden to do it if they see fit.

And fyi, odd shut downs, especially when it's possible the person has preview software on their device, is one of the times they have been told to try a dfu.

I've also used it when doing swaps with iPhones that have iOS 6 preloaded on it. This way I don't have to set the phone up as new, then set it up again after updating. Just skips a step.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Apple Store employees are explicitly told to not use DFU mode when restoring and iDevice.

This is untrue

----------

Again not true some of the time

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, they both restore the phone. I have used DFU mode to solve iTunes errors messages when trying to update as well as phones stuck on the apple logo after an update. Since it powers on the iPhone (and correct me if I'm wrong) and skips the boot loader you are able to force iTunes to restore the phone in cases like I stated above. Normal recovery mode works when there aren't issues like these, but personally I've had DFU solve problems when a normal plug into iTunes restore wouldn't.

Both restore yes, just one loads the boot loader and one doesn't.

DFU mode loads a boot loader as well. How else do you think it start the iOS restore process? You can't start iOS from it's ram disk unless you have a boot loader.

According to my BF who is a Genius this is not true. They have been told that a DFU is generally not be necessary but they are not forbidden to do it if they see fit.

And FYI, odd shut downs, especially when it's possible the person has preview software on their device, is one of the times they have been told to try a DFU.

Your BF has his job on the line if he preforms a DFU mode restore. Apple retail documentation explicitly states that DFU mode restores are not to be preformed by Apple employees.

This is untrue

Again not true some of the time

I'm just stating what is available within the Apple retail employee documentation.

Tell me then, what exactly is the difference between a DFU mode restore and clicking the restore button in iTunes when the iDevice is in normal boot mode? There isn't one. Not a single difference. Why? Because when iTunes tells the device to reboot, it tells it to reboot into a soft DFU mode and uploads a ramdisk for it to boot from. Not a single bit of difference when using regular DFU mode.

What is the tool called?

Mostly iTunes. In the back room for some of the more complex restores, some techs have access to PurpleRestore. But it requires a valid Apple Connect account that you are also authorized to use PurpleRestore with. Very few of the Apple retail staff have this needed authorization, if any at all within a singular store.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Your BF has his job on the line if he preforms a DFU mode restore. Apple retail documentation explicitly states that DFU mode restores are not to be preformed by Apple employees.

Until you can show the exact documentation, screen shot from the source etc, I'm calling BS. Sounds to me like you don't work for Apple and/or are confusing instructions not to attempt to downgrade a phone via putting it in DFU with doing troubleshooting and repair

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Until you can show the exact documentation, screen shot from the source etc, I'm calling BS. Sounds to me like you don't work for Apple and/or are confusing instructions not to attempt to downgrade a phone via putting it in DFU with doing troubleshooting and repair

Such documentation is not allowed to be redistributed or publicly shown. I don't work for Apple retail, but I have a set of the Apple retail documentation because I was made to go through that awful course. I'm not confusing anything, I'm stating exactly what is said within the employee handbook. Go read through your BF's handbook, if he still has it, and you'll find the lines stating such.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
In the back room for some of the more complex restores, some techs have access to PurpleRestore. But it requires a valid Apple Connect account that you are also authorized to use PurpleRestore with. Very few of the Apple retail staff have this needed authorization, if any at all within a singular store.

Speaking of something that few if any retail staff have access to sounds more like a 'putting your job on the line' item to me. I'd be careful that you don't get called down for mentioning such an item. With Apple's secrecy issues you could get fired for revealing such an item, not to mention posting in general (isnt blogging etc about Apple internal business still a fireable offense)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Erm you really don't know what you're talking about here. A DFU restore is meant for use by AASPs, not the general public. It's a vital way of telling is a restore error is caused by duff firmware.

And for the record - we can quite easily prove you're wrong. Plug your iPhone into (without DFU/Recovery mode) one of the iMacs at an Apple store (including the ones around the Genius bar). It won't show up in iTunes ;). They are all in "do not sync" mode, which means that Apple employees can only do restores in recovery/dfu mode!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Such documentation is not allowed to be redistributed or publicly shown. I don't work for Apple retail,

Rather what I suspected.

You don't work for Apple so you can't really speak as to what they are forbidden to do. So don't act like you actually know. Even if that was the case at the time you took this course (assuming you actually read the materials correctly and it wasn't something like 'employees who have not be certified to do tech support are not allowed to use this technique') rules change overnight around Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.