Special iPhoto Organization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Petey05, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Petey05 macrumors newbie

I've taken it upon myself to digitize the thousands of slides and old photo albums my family has. I bought a 1 TB WD hard drive and I have a scanner and everything.

What I'd like to do is store these pictures on the external hard drive. However, I'd also like to organize them using iPhoto. I don't want to carry them around on my laptop's harddrive all the time--I just want them to be accessible in my iPhoto (or, even better, in either I or my father's iPhoto, depending on who is connected to the hard drive at the moment) whenever I'm plugged in. It's analogous, I suppose, to someone who only wants to carry a gig or two of songs in their iTunes photo when they're walking around but wants to have fifty more gigs of music accessible when they plug into their external HD.

What is the best way to do this? I thought about just unchecking the box that says "copy to iPhoto folder" in Preferences whenever I'm introducing new pictures, and then re-checking it before I import pictures I want to save on my machine. Is this the best way, or is there another option?

Thanks!

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Get iPhoto Library Manager. Then create multiple libraries, for instance one on your internal hard drive for the photos you want there, and one (or more) on the external for the rest. Easy to move between the libraries via Manager (or you can hold down the option key when you start iPhoto and select the library you want to use at that time -- that one will remain default until you repeat the process of holding down the option key, etc.). There is even a "merge" function so that when you are ready to add the ones on your external to the internal, you won't have duplicates. I use it and I love it!

3. Petey05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can I get that?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Google?

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

6. Petey05 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i'll give it a try!

e- does anyone know anything about iphoto buddy? it's freeware...