Special Needs Software

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Katilea, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Katilea macrumors member

I am currently trying out a demo of Keystrokes that allows word prediction/sentence completion to make typing easier and functions like dwell clicker for a mouse. At the moment I'm use a BIGtrack trackball with it and a BIGkeys keyboard.

However the program is over £100 to buy, I'm new to Mac's and wondered if there was anything like the accessibility options in Windows and where do I find them? I have difficulties with my fine motor co-ordination. so struggle with doing 2 actions at once like holding down button and dragging to scroll and highlight text and double-clicking.

I got a blue and white clamshell iBook cheap off ebay (cos i liked the colour..yes i know..typical woman..lol!!) Its now running OS X 10.3.9 after updating.

I know Mac's are not easy to get compatible software and hardware for..as easily as windows based PC's, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what they are like for speciality software for disabled access? Would it work with scanning software if i needed that in future? (my condition is progressive)

Does anyone know of any sites with freeware for macs just for things like clicking when you stay on button for a while? On my PC i have one called dwell clicker which I downloaded free but its not Mac compatible.

Would I be better trading in my iBook for a newer mac that can run windows so I can make use of the free software? If so can anyone recommend a model that does this?

Thanks

Kati (Yorkshire, UK)

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I'm not sure about special needs software, but the only thing that comes close to windows accessibility options is system preferences >system> universal access