Special Ordered macbook ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paolo-, Aug 24, 2008.

1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Hi, after a chat with a friend of mine, he told me he was ready to sell me his "special ordered" black macbook when the new macbook pros would come out. Fom the specs he gave me and the system profiler text he sent me, it's an absolute beast and seems legit.

Though, knowing him, he's enough of a geek to have modified the system profiler text and/or the system kext or whatever to have some stuff show up that aren't there.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if it is indeed possible to call certain people at apple (I know he has the contacts) and get a mac with other specs that aren't listed as available. IE a 2.6ghz processor (800mhz FSB), 7200rpm HDD and a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512mb ram video card in a 13.3" macbook. Most of it seems plausible, but it's the processor and the front side bus speed that seem unlikely with a macbook logic board/motherboard. Anyways, I'd like to know if that kind of thing is even possible with apple and what happens when it comes to warranty (though I think it's on apple care, I'll have to ask him).

Cheers (from a long time reader first time poster)

2. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Highly doubt it.

Unless he is literally, good friends with Mr. Jobs, I highly doubt it.

I think your friend is telling porkies.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's fake. There is no such thing as a special-order MacBook with a faster CPU or dedicated graphics.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am no expert, but I do not believe that it is possible to have a 2.6 CPU or a dedicated GPU in a MacBook, so I believe that your friend is lying completely if this is truly a Black MacBook. Those specs may be possible if it were a MacBook Pro painted black, but I do not believe that it is possible for a regular MacBook to have a processor of that speed or a dedicated GPU. And for a regular person, it is not possible to call Apple and get a special order like that.

5. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thanks for the speedy awnsers !

I haven't seen the actual computer, so it could possibly be a macbook pro, I don't remember our discussion exactly, but I'm pretty sure he said it was black and 13 inch (and last time him with a computer, he had a black macbook)... The document he sent me does say MacBook and not MacBook Pro too.

Euhm, anyone can think of another way to prove what's inside it, other than actually opening it ?

6. ChrisRC macrumors newbie

Look at the computer's "About This Mac" system profiler. It will tell you what's inside the thing. Cheers.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Have him send you a picture of it, if it is a Black MacBook, then he is most certainly bluffing.

8. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, maybe I just want to belive it's true because it would be awesome. But if I had access to the actual computer is there somewhere where I could get the real run down of what's inside it (like on a PC, you pop the BIOS and get pretty much all the specs, and can't get tampered)

"
    Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.17f0
    Serial Number: W87210B1YA4
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    "

Does the first part (model name and model identifier, or even the rom version and serial) look more like a mb or a mbp ? Because, I'm starting to think it's a mbp, also :p

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

No way. And this is supposed to be a friend??

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Based on the serial number check at https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do, that computer is a mid-2007 MacBook.

Your 'friend' is not to be trusted. There's absolutely no way that s/he's got a MacBook with that configuration. I don't think there's even room in the case for a standalone GPU, nevermind the fact that it in combination with that processor would overheat the computer in no time.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

this is what i call SPEACIAL ORDER EXTREMEEEE!! :D

im i the only one who thinks this is crazy??

Attached Files: