Special Ram Required for 16GB Ram Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eddo2, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Eddo2 macrumors newbie

2. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

Yes. You can use any 204 Pin DDR3-1333 ram. The link for the Corsair at Amazon is the same one I bought for my 27" iMac that comes tomorrow

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It does not need to be any sort of special apple RAM. That is just the same product sold for more. Look in the newegg laptop RAM section, that will probably get you the cheapest upgrade. You also may want to consider just upgrading to 12GB by adding 2x4GB. You get nearly as much memory, but for half the price.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I really dont understand when some people (some of my acquaintance included) getting nervous and worried when it comes to Mac's RAM upgrade. They must get RAM chips with "Made for Apple" logo on it, and they certainly dont come cheap. Most of them cost almost twice the normal working RAM. All for that rip off logo.

Sure it's just their marketing technique, that will work for some folks, but I really hope people dont fall for them. Even apple said iMac can use any 204pin SODIMM Ram, so why worry? Keyword is ANY btw :p

I bought cheap generic Crucial RAM for any laptop and they work just fine

5. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

Hell the RAM Apple included in my mac wasn't "made by Apple" :p

6. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Use The Corsair

Apple buy from them anyway. I bought the 2x$GB upgrade and its fine. Same machine and age as mine, but use the crucial tool to make sure you order the right ones...Somewhere in the picture gallery I posted them.

I wasn't using enough force to seat them properly at first, but work perfectly at a fraction of Apple prices.

8. Eddo2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. That is what I suspected, however there are some stories on the net that iMac will not boot, crash, etc if you use RAM not specifically made for Apple.

9. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Rumors! haha :]