iPhone Special scenario unlocking help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JDMricist, May 16, 2014.

1. JDMricist macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors!
    I just recently purchased 2 iPhones for cheap. Reason why I bought them in this condition was because I used to be super into jailbreaking/unlocking iPhones when I had my iPhone 3g like 5 years ago and it was always super easy with no problems. Looks like times have changed..

iPhone 4 iOS 6.1
    iPhone 4s iOS 5.1.1

The iPhone 4 is passcode locked and no matter how many times I try to select a custom IPSW ((I am certain it's the right one (10B144)) but it keeps saying "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred. (3194)"
    Why am I getting this error? and is there any other way to restore a passcode locked iPhone 4 without updating?

The iPhone 4s is jailbroken with redsn0w. I have been searching everywhere and only found one method that truly is free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pE8VuFjI0M
    Can someone please confirm that this (SAMprefs method) works? I gotta figure out how to get a hold of a T-mobile micro sim and don't want to go through that trouble for nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I am a bit reluctant to assist since you don't know the passcode so the legal ownership of the iPhone 4 is in doubt. Because of this, my answer will be general.

Without saved SHSH, an iPhone 4 can only be restored to current firmware - 7.1.1 thus the 3194 error.

The baseband on the iPhone 4 determines if it can be unlocked - I'll assume you have 4.12.xx and the only unlock would be an IMEI unlock from carrier who sold the phone or aftermarket vendor.

SAM unlocks haven't worked for 2 years.

3. JDMricist thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same but the kid's story about his sister leaving the passcode locked 4 behind after leaving to college and upgrading to the 5. I'd just straight up ask the sister what the passcode is but I don't know her at all, he's super reluctant to ask, and I didn't think it would have been a problem restoring to custom ipsw which is why I'm here.
    I guess worst case scenario I just sell it to Gazelle for pretty much what I paid for it. :/

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

With all due respect, it surely sounds like you bought a phone which anyone could deduce he had no ownership.

5. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I have to agree.

6. JDMricist thread starter macrumors newbie

He said his sis left it for him and he's a good kid so I didn't really think much of it but yeah, you're probably right. I just couldn't pass up 2 mint iPhones for $100. Already bought them so it doesn't mater anymore anyway.

7. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

There's no such thing as a good kid. You know how you can tell when a kids lying? Their mouths are moving.

8. JDMricist thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true.

So I was finally able to save the SHSH using tinyumbrella and iTunes to restore the phone to my custom ipsw.