special screwdriver??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beaglechick, Apr 13, 2008.

1. beaglechick macrumors newbie

i am not sure if this is the right forum, i looked around.. and i truly am new to the mac, so....

i want to put in a new 2GB stick into my new iMac... but the screw looks really weird. You'd think it would be something basic, like a philips... and it's sorta like a philips, but not close enough. None of my screw drivers work on it.

Is there some particular one i need? i can't exactly drag the iMac to the hardware store to ask some poor carpenter about it.

to be honest... the screw looks suspiciously like a philips screw that has been stripped.. except that it has a slightly "squared" edge instead of just scooped out.

i really dont have a way to get this thing to a Mac shop to have it installed, buying the stick was a stretch.

can anyone tell me if it needs a special screwdriver, what is it called and where i can get one?

thanx

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I would have thought it's a phillips of some size,probably either a #00 or #0,but don't know for sure as i don't own a iMac

3. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

If you have an Aluminum iMac with the door at the bottom, it is indeed a Phillips screwdriver. It's the smaller of the two sizes. Firmly screw counter-clockwise to unscrew. DO NOT strip out the head of the screw.
    Make sure you lay down the iMac on a soft comforter, towel or other soft surface. Try nor to move your feet around while handling the RAM, to prevent static electricity.
    More info if you need it. Also, there are videos on doing the RAM upgrade on YouTube. Good luck!
    Morod

4. Hierotochan macrumors member

It's either a Posi-drive or a Philips.

Put down a towel or something on your desk, lay the Mac on it screen down & lift the stand up. It should hold itself out the way.

I fould it best to use a long handled screwdriver & holding the top of the screen with the other hand, push the head into the screw while undoing it as it'll help reduce any more rounding off.

Pull out the little plastic tabs & the ram should pop out.
    Might take a little more force than you'd think, sometimes they're in there pretty tight.

Make sure the new RAM's lined up right in the channel when you're poping it in, again give it a good even push until it's in.

Fold the plastic strips back over the edge of the RAM & do her up.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I would have thought it would be a Phillips too - my MacBook Pro is - but it might be a T10 torx [​IMG]

Most hardware stores should have torx bits, if that's the case.

If it is a phillips head, you'll need a phillips size 00 bit.

6. Hierotochan macrumors member

The only use Torx screws on internal parts they deem "non user serviceable".

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The aluminum iMacs have standard Phillips head screws. You will need a small driver with a sharper tip and do be careful to turn in the proper direction and not strip it as mentioned above.

I came to iMac with the release of the Intel Core Duo so I can't speak for G5 or earlier but all Intel Macs to the present use standard Phillips head screws on the memory door.

Torx screws (and a GREAT DEAL of them) are indeed used in the non-user-serviceable parts of the iMacs under the hood.