Special way to unplug a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sal Collaziano, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

I read something in the user manual about a special procedure when unplugging the power cord from an Apple notebook. Something about avoiding pulling the cord from the notebook - and the proper way to pull from the socket first - or something like that.. Or did I just read something completely backwards?

Is it safe to just disconnect the power from the magnetic piece on the notebook?

Thanks in advance...

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

no you must do a special power dance to the power gods first:p

yeah just pull the plug its not going to hurt it

i found the best way though, and this is most likly what its talking about, its to grab the plastic connector and bend it up or down to release it, rather then pulling the cord straight out

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I usually hold the plastic bit with the LED on and pull it outwards rather than pulling on the cord.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

I find it easier to sort of rock it up, it breaks the connection easier that way.

5. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I always hold it by the plastic plug and pull it sideways towards me. Seems to break the magnetic connection the best.

6. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I purposely trip over the cord to release it.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL *snare snare crash/kick*

i angle my magnetic thing upwards, until the magnets release and then i pull it off. nice n safe :)

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

same here. I most of those instances where the wire frayed and sparked at the plastic connection is from improper unplugging of the cord..

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'm usually soooo drunk on Canadian beer that I accidently trip on the cord but it yanks out without sending my MacBook flying through my 40" LCD TV. Then I wonder if I damaged my cord and then my thoughts drift to something MUCH more important like "hmmm ..... wow ........ hmmmmm ... wonder if I have any beer left??
    :confused:

:):apple:

10. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Haha, that's hilarious!

I used to do that all the time as well when I first got my MBP. I loved showing anybody who walked by; sisters, cousins, parents and friends how cool an idea the MagSafe was.

Every time I walked by it myself I just couldn't resist myself; it was just waiting there to be tripped over. Unfortunately I did it a bit too much as I was under the illusion that the MagSafe could never break. Low and behold a couple of weeks later it stopped working!

Thankfully Apple replaced it and now I treat it with the respect it deserves and am SUPER CAREFUL as I'm paranoid I'm gonna break it again!

P.S. Rocking the magnet part sideways before taking it out like other people have said is definitely the way to go to keep it safe and what I do as well.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I just pull upwards or sideways (whichever happens to be more comfortable based on where I'm sitting).

However, when you pull the cord from the wall socket, be sure to grasp the plastic that houses the prongs. It'll prevent your cord from tearing/bending. :)

12. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Is there by any chance something on YouTube to demonstrate this special power dance? I hear it's very complicated and that you need to be a black belt in wing chun kung fu in order to do it successfully...

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I slowly tilt the magsafe jack up with my left hand, then gently coax the jack out using finger-touch tension with my left hand while reaching over with my right to comfortably support the cord, all the while uttering soothing, reassuring words in a calm voice. I smile too--that's important. Maintain eye contact.

So, of course the cable has come loose from the other end (at the adaptor) exposing the wires, for which a replacement is on order.

Until then, I'm using my back-up adaptor, which only works if the jack is rotated a certain way, but we're seeing a therapist, so that should help.

14. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

LOL. Hilarious!

Yeah, I do the same, rock it upwards, then disconnect.

15. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Yeah, it's safe. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be.

What I did find out is that it's much easier to flip the connector up from the port, rather than pulling it straight out (which requires considerably more force).