Specialized CloneDVD/AnyDVD Task on Mac - Handbrake / Mac The Ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by granita, Jun 7, 2009.

1. granita macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    Since not too long I'm a Mac User and eager not too change to Windows ever again. But as many, I have some problems finding alternatives for my old routines on my beloved mac.

I'm especially interested in copying foreign movie DVDs with subtitles. I used to just copy them from my DVDs via anyDVD/cloneDVD, so I had a perfectly cloned DVD with the subtitle file. On my Mac I'm missing that function.

I read about Mac the Ripper / DVD2OneX / Burner,Toast,etc. With these programs I could easily imitate the wished task, but Mac the Ripper seems to have a complicated payment/register process going in the newest version, and I'd like to avoid that.

Rather I liked the idea of the programm HandBrake: just ripping my DVDs to a nice avi file (around CD size I hope!?!), put them on a portable harddisk, so I can watch my movies in vacation, but without taking my original DVD collection with me. But does HandBrake also rip the subtitle file?

Thanks for all the help, guys. I appreciate it.
    granita

2. gorjan macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forum!

You should be ok with Handbrake. If you rip to h.264 you should be able to include subtitles, and VLC should be able to view the movies with the subtitles. :)

3. granita thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the nice welcome and especially for the quick reply :) I'll check handbrake out and let you know. maybe some more people are interested in foreign movies in OT. greets, g

4. granita thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, Handbrake works quite fun. Some starting problems. The newest VLC must be installed and it only allows hard subs, or at least one subtitle. But there seem to be ways to also integrate soft subs with other 3rd party software ("Muxo"). The handbrake forum serves well with these problems. I give this information just in case someone has the same issues.
    Thanks for the help again. Cheers!

5. granita thread starter macrumors newbie

Subtitle Problem with Handbrake

Hey guys. Another thing in the continuation of this issue:

Handbrake works fine, but only supports hard subs, what is nice for iPods, but pretty uncosy for watching at the PC, especially if you wanna have different subtitle languages, or the possibility of turning them off.

Muxo or Subler can obviously change the subtitles in a MP4 file. But for that the .srt files need to be present.

My problem is now, that I want the subtitles from the DVD I'm ripping with handbrake. I wouldn't find them on the web, as its older movies and not the most common language.
    So is there a programm for Mac that can rip subtitle files from a DVD??
    Any other ideas concerning how to deal with soft subs and handbrake?

Thanks again guys. Cheers