Specific App Failures... iLife+Skype (!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macAttack!, Oct 31, 2009.

1. macAttack! macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    Hey everyone,

my spring 2009 aluminum-body macbook is showing some odd behaviors. :mad:

Right now, it is running on 240gb with 4gb ram.

The problem is as follows:

Whenever I open certain programs, they randomly shut down or just break-down.

Some of these issues include:

• when I try to edit a picture in iPhoto, the program shuts down.
    • when I try to print in microsoft word 2008, the program shuts down and sends an error report.
    • when I try to open GarageBand, the screen reads 'initializing' before the program simply shuts down.
    • I downloaded Skype from the internet, and when I accept the terms and agreements the program shuts down.

I have no idea where to start with this...At first I thought it might be my iLife (i'm running snow leopard) but a fresh reinstall did nothing. I thought it might be the fact that I upgraded my memory, but I realized that it probably wouldnt make sense that a memory issue would only cause certain program failures... Otherwise, the computer is running perfectly....

So, I come to you geniuses...any help? I would really liek to have a complete computer, up and running, without any app. issues...

Thanks in advance!:D
  2. andalusia macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2009
    Manchester, UK
    Try repairing Disk Permissions. Do this by opening Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility (lets hope this doesn't crash), selecting your Hard Drive and clicking on Repair Disk Permissions.
  3. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    Hey Tristan,

Thanks for the advice! I gave it a shot, unfortunately, it didn't solve the issues.

I tried to verify my disc while I was at it, but the utility told me it was all checked out...

Any other suggestions?
  4. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007
    Issues continued?!

So I reinstalled snow leopard, to no avail. I also have repaired and checked my disk utility several times.

when i do the following shows up: "Warning:SUID file "System/Library/Core...as been modified and will not be repaired"

could this be the problem? if so, what should i do?:confused:
  5. phantomic macrumors member

Aug 15, 2009
  6. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Aug 21, 2007

Hey, thanks for the help/etc. but I figured it all out.

Apparently, the offending issue was a plugin that I had installed several months before realizing that it was causing issues.

Stoplight was a freeware application that I had downloaded to expand certain programs windows to full screen. When I removed it from my PrefPane and deleted the folder in the Library/Application Support folder everything began working properly.

I stumbled upon this solution accidentally... Hopefully no one else has this problem, and hopefully Stoplight pulls it together or gets removed.

Thanks everyone!:D