Specific App Failures... iLife+Skype (!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macAttack!, Oct 31, 2009.

1. macAttack! macrumors member

Hey everyone,

my spring 2009 aluminum-body macbook is showing some odd behaviors. :mad:

Right now, it is running on 240gb with 4gb ram.

The problem is as follows:

Whenever I open certain programs, they randomly shut down or just break-down.

Some of these issues include:

• when I try to edit a picture in iPhoto, the program shuts down.
    • when I try to print in microsoft word 2008, the program shuts down and sends an error report.
    • when I try to open GarageBand, the screen reads 'initializing' before the program simply shuts down.
    • I downloaded Skype from the internet, and when I accept the terms and agreements the program shuts down.

I have no idea where to start with this...At first I thought it might be my iLife (i'm running snow leopard) but a fresh reinstall did nothing. I thought it might be the fact that I upgraded my memory, but I realized that it probably wouldnt make sense that a memory issue would only cause certain program failures... Otherwise, the computer is running perfectly....

So, I come to you geniuses...any help? I would really liek to have a complete computer, up and running, without any app. issues...

Thanks in advance!:D

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Try repairing Disk Permissions. Do this by opening Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility (lets hope this doesn't crash), selecting your Hard Drive and clicking on Repair Disk Permissions.

3. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Hey Tristan,

Thanks for the advice! I gave it a shot, unfortunately, it didn't solve the issues.

I tried to verify my disc while I was at it, but the utility told me it was all checked out...

Any other suggestions?

4. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Issues continued?!

So I reinstalled snow leopard, to no avail. I also have repaired and checked my disk utility several times.

when i do the following shows up: "Warning:SUID file "System/Library/Core...as been modified and will not be repaired"

could this be the problem? if so, what should i do?:confused:

5. phantomic macrumors member

phantomic

6. macAttack! thread starter macrumors member

Solved!

Hey, thanks for the help/etc. but I figured it all out.

Apparently, the offending issue was a plugin that I had installed several months before realizing that it was causing issues.

Stoplight was a freeware application that I had downloaded to expand certain programs windows to full screen. When I removed it from my PrefPane and deleted the folder in the Library/Application Support folder everything began working properly.

I stumbled upon this solution accidentally... Hopefully no one else has this problem, and hopefully Stoplight pulls it together or gets removed.

Thanks everyone!:D