Specific Dock Theme Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gieppetto, Aug 30, 2010.

1. gieppetto macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a dock theme or hack that I could install relatively painlessly on 10.6.4 that makes the Dock, when placed at the bottom, look like it does when placed on either side of the screen. I've been looking all over the place but all I've found are themes for Candybar and co. that make the reflective bottom area some weird different color or texture. I would like to see a theme that makes the Dock more 2D-ish and at least similar to what you see on the sides of the screen when placed there.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

open terminal then copy and past the command:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

then hit enter and copy and paste killall Dock and hit enter again

then to revert it use

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO

3. gieppetto thread starter macrumors newbie

You, Fine Sir, are my hero.
    Thank you very much.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you don't fancy the solution via Terminal, you can also have a look at Onyx, which is a GUI based utility which can tweak many system settings, including the Dock.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Also take a look at Secrets. Just be careful, saw a lot of posts for a while saying "I enabled something in Secrets and now [insert application name here] doesn't work." Make sure you pay attention and remember exactly what you enable/disable using Secrets so you can fix it if there are unintended consequences.

jW

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

To be fair, the same warning should apply to Onyx. Onyx does itself give plenty of warnings to the user, and will only run on an Administrator account, but it's still possible to really mess things up.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

True. I wasn't recommending Onyx, of course, but definitely take the same warning there (although it doesn't affect the same types of things that Secrets does).

jW