Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I've been having this strange problem with my external enclosure (Rosewill 4 bay esata), connected through a 3132 esata card.

A few weeks ago I found that I was unable to copy a file to one of the drives. I thought the drive was dying on me. I backed it up (I could read from it just fine).

I then tried to copy the file to another drive in the enclosure: same results. I thought the enclosure was dying on me.

I then bought another enclosure, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. Now I have the same problem.

Copying certain files and filetypes works flawlessly, yet some specific files and filetypes (.m4v files from Handbrake) just hang. The files themselves play normally, and can be copied normally on drives inside my Mac. When I try to copy them to the external enclosure, the copy window opens but either it remains at 0 bytes copied, or it begins only to stall later.

Any ideas?

Loa

elvisizer

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2003
San Jose
any other commonality to the files that won't copy? you mentioned m4v's from handbrake- are all the problem files large? maybe test to see if there's a size threshold that triggers the problem?
Also, what format is the volume on the external enclosure? JHFS+ or something else?

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
any other commonality to the files that won't copy? you mentioned m4v's from handbrake- are all the problem files large? maybe test to see if there's a size threshold that triggers the problem?

I tried bigger files (mkv videos) and they worked fine.

Also, what format is the volume on the external enclosure? JHFS+ or something else?

Basic HFS+ formatted using Apple's DU.

Loa

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Strange. Try Get Info on the problem files, and others that work well, and compare permissions and such to find a clue. What about other m4v files not encoded by Handbrake?

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I didn't find the cause of the problem, but uninstalling and reinstalling my esata drivers (sil3132 raid version) seems to have cleared it (for now).

Is it possible that the 10.8.2 upgrade messed something with my original drivers?

Loa

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Hello,

I didn't find the cause of the problem, but uninstalling and reinstalling my esata drivers (sil3132 raid version) seems to have cleared it (for now).

Is it possible that the 10.8.2 upgrade messed something with my original drivers?

Loa
Ooh, I don't know. I'm still on 10.6.8 on my Mac Pro, for reasons such as this.

I bought a 2012 MacBook Pro (that I'm typing on right now from Amsterdam!) and it came with Mountain Lion. I updated it to 10.8.2 and have spent a lot of time making it as close to Snow Leopard as possible, but I haven't tried any heavy lifting or video editing with it. (It's just a base model 13" that I swapped the 500GB HDD out for a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD.)

The thing is, I don't trust 10.8 just yet. It's safe for a play-around laptop, but I don't trust it on my editing system! I hope you can figure it out, and I'll try to keep up with your results, since I'm sure someday I will have to update myself. :eek:

Good luck!

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
I updated it to 10.8.2 and have spent a lot of time making it as close to Snow Leopard as possible

Same here, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I stayed on a "play disk" for a month or so, transitioning from 10.6 to 10.7, and the same with 10.8. In the end I've had no problems except for this one, and it seems to be fixed for now.

Loa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.