specific instructions needed for iphone 3gs 4.0 firmware cellular data plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by emozdashietxp, Dec 28, 2010.

1. emozdashietxp macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2010

so i need complete information on my problem before switching. i'm a current at&t cellular carrier with an iphone 3gs on 4.0 firmware 8gb and jailbroken, with a $15 monthly data plan.

i'm giving my phone to my brother who does NOT have a data plan nor does he want one.

i did some snooping around for more information in google because he wants to use the iphone 3gs. when i called at&t, they said that the sim card without cellular data plan will automatically activate once it's in a smartphone that has cellular data plan, whether or not i state i want it, because it's REQUIRED.

so i guess i'm looking for help where
    i don't necessarily need it UNLOCKED, because my brother too, is an at&t carrier, but i want him to be able to insert his sim card without automatically activating the data plan but instead just using wifi and regular calling/texting.

another question
    in Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data=OFF/Enable 3G=Off/Data Roaming is not highlighted=OFF.
    does that mean that 3gs/cellular data plan is disabled only for my sim card, or for the phone itself?< which will also result in non auto-activated cellular data plan for my brother's non cellular data enabled sim card (doesn't know if this make sense LOL)

THANKS IN ADVANCE! <switching to iphone 4 soon!
  2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    They informed you correct.
    Their system will detect the iphone and add a data plan automaticly.
    No way around it besides using a prepaid AT&T SIM, unlocking it and going to Tmobile or pay the minimum $15 data.