Specific MacBook Air question: Ethernet options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JButt, Jun 12, 2012.

1. JButt macrumors newbie

I am deciding between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air for my primary (only) work computer. Have been happily using a MacBook for about 4 years. I do travel a lot, and the weight difference would be nice. I worry most about the connectivity options and loss of an Ethernet port. I need Ethernet at work for some activities (webinar management, etc), but also connect a second non-Apple monitor. I would need to use the Thunderbolt port for the monitor - is the USB ethernet adaptor sufficient?

It also feels messy - currently all connections are on one side of my Pro, but the Air will have cable hanging off both sides. Are there alternatives that would tidy this up (I have seen the Thunderbolt docks that are due out in September from Matrox and Belkin, but that seems like an expensive solution at $249 plus).

Thanks

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

A USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter will push about 30 Mbps max, that's about 30% of the performance of a gigabit ethernet connection. If you are moving a lot of data you'll quickly be frustrated by that. If the system you are using has a USB 3.0 interface you'll be in much better shape and you can max out the gigabit connection which is all that can be asked for.

FYI, Belkin's thunderbolt docking station had a price increase to $350 and it further delayed a couple of months.

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

There's also a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor now..