Specific MacBook case cracking questions w/ photos

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JoeKozy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JoeKozy macrumors member

My MacBook case has cracked (in the area where the plastic extrusions on the lid rest when the MacBook is closed) and i'm under the AppleCare warranty.

I just want to know what exactly getting it repaired entails, i live near an Apple Store but will they need to send it off to replace part of the case? Can they do it in-store? Do they just replace the casing around the keyboard? Is it a certainty that they'll replace a crack such as mine? How long will it take?

It is a 2.2Ghz SR Macbook pre the minor recent speedbump

I had a quick look at other threads but they don't seem to mention how exactly Apple go about fixing it. I have included photos below (assuming the host stays up and the photos taken on my phone aren't too crappy)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

From what I remember from the other threads, this type of crack can be repaired in the shop.... if they have the part there.

I would have another trawl through the other threads as other have reported about the process.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

You will need a new top case, this also contains the keyboard, so you will get a nice new pretty top! Some places might have the part, but often do not stock it so you may have to leave it for a day or two, the repair does not take long, about 30 minutes when done by a technician.

4. RodySt macrumors newbie

Happened to my MacBook as well.

They need to order a new topcase and then they can replace it for you.

5. JoeKozy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the prompt replies :) I'll take it in soonish then and get a nice new cover (it needed a clean anyway), although i get the feeling i'll be doing this again in the future

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

When you get a new cover, consider tracking how many times you close the lid. I'm guessing the cracks occur after 200-500 closings.

7. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

8. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

It happened to me as well. I am very gentle with my MB but I think that it got cracked from the pressures of travelling in my laptop bag. I took it into the Apple Store and they fixed it the same day.

9. Matek macrumors 6502a

That's like telling someone who's complaining about a malfunctioning fan and consequential overheating to use apps that are less CPU intensive.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

When your Macbook cracks (and it will), we'll be happy to bump this post for you.

11. JoeKozy thread starter macrumors member

If you search the internet you'll find this is most definitely a design flaw. While i wouldn't say i've been especially gentle with the MacBook, i've treated it with the usual care any other plastic laptop has been given, and this is the first one to ever crack. It's a little frustrating but at least Apple accept the problem and repair it for you (even if this doesn't extend to fixing the real problem and changing the material used).

12. slybeans macrumors member

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take it in, but don't leave it overnight. Wait until the part arrives, then take it in and as other posters have mentioned, it can be repaired as you check out the new iPhones! (That's if they have any iPhones left in stock!) :p

14. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

What are you doing with your MacBooks?

I have my MacBook since November 2006. I have no cracks and nothing turned pink. In fact, the only time I had a problem was with the RAM. (But I bought that from a local reseller.) It seams to me that Apple is using different suppliers. And some of them don't do their job very well.
    It's the same thing what happend with the Airport Express G. It died on many people. But mine is running fine since October 2005. So I guess I just got lucky. :D

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You mean in less than a year (assuming you open/close your computer once a day)? :eek:

16. JoeKozy thread starter macrumors member

I had mine since November, so that's 6 months before i got the cracks, and i would say i close the case around 3 times a day. This very loose estimate takes it to about 547.5 closes before the crack appeared.

This is the only problem that i've had with the Mac (apart from he trackpad button's 'click" stopping and the button going a bit squishy, which then miraculously fixed itself a week later), but it certainly looks like i'll be back at the Apple Store with cracked casing in about half a year's time.

17. JoeKozy thread starter macrumors member

Just an update that i had the casing replaced, i took it into the store and within a couple of hours they had replaced the casing/keyboard/trackpad.

I asked the 'Mac Genius' about the replacements and he said they're supposedly using a different type of plastic, causing a drop in the number of people with new MacBooks coming in with cracked cases, but it doesn't seem to have eliminated the issue entirely.

The service was friendly and prompt anyway, so i certainly recommend taking any cracked cases into an Apple Store for a replacement, they clearly are used to dealing with them.

18. Thetics macrumors regular

glad you got it fixed =)

Can we seriously sticky one of these posts? there is about 4 posts on CrackBooks every day.

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm glad that you got it fixed. I've got the same problem in the same spot for the second time, so it's good to know that they're still quick in the turnaround of these repairs.

20. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

wow im surprised how my 1st gen got first year when it came out has never happed to mine and i open my lig 10 or more times a day and i got it like 2 years old

21. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

mines like you nothing ever happened except the pink thing and the finish on the top peeled off so i put a rubber cover over it

22. dubels macrumors 6502

They repair in-store and if they have the parts there it will take less than a day. I turned my in out of applecare and they had it back to me within three hours. They just replaced the top cover and the thing that goes around the screen. I would check all their work before you leave though. My top cover was not completely sealed with the case.

23. davhorgan macrumors newbie

I posted this else where but I saw some people wondering whether it will crack again after it is replaced. Well the answer is yes and here is my story.

I bought my Macbook November 2006 it was cracking over the IR port by June 2007 and I got it replaced. Now in April 2008 its cracking again. It has a very short life. It's almost timed down to a tee when its going to crack. My friend bought one at the exact same time and it has cracked for the second time at the same time. My brothers got his replaced in September 2007 and he bought his macbook in April 2008.

I think its crazy. I think Apple should be required to replace this part every time this happens to a consumer. They are building disposable laptops that are almost deigned to break after a specific period. But don't get me wrong I love apple - but it is some shoddy design in this product.

24. krye macrumors 68000

krye

It doesn't happen to all of them. Mine is a 2 yr old 1st gen and I use it everyday. It hasn't cracked.

25. AlexanderTgreat macrumors member

Oh it will happen to them all eventually, if it hasn't happened to you yet, just be thankful