Specific Mavericks upgrade questions...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Nam Pla, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Nam Pla macrumors member

I'm hoping one (some) of the more knowledgeable posters here can answer my concerns about a specific issue I have.

I am on OS Lion and have been debating updating to Mavs. What scares me is the issues with the new Pages 5.0. The wife and I have a small business totally dependent on documents we created in Pages 09, 4.3. Lots of work put into them that we just can't lose, and I don't want to re-do, especially with 5.0's limited feature set (compared to 4.3)!

I've read here and there that Pages 4.3 remains on the system after upgrading to Pages 5.0. But I'm unsure if that is true when upgrading the OS from Lion to Mavericks.

My questions then are: Will Pages 4.3 remain on my system after upgrading to Mavericks?? And: Is it possible to remove (or otherwise disable) Pages 5.0 to ensure that Pages 4.3 remains my default Pages app??

Thanks for any concise answers!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Upgrading Mavericks does not upgrade your apps, and in this case, it doesn't touch your iWorks apps.

3. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

Thx for that Mike. I'm still leery about Mavericks though, and I've just read that they've taken away the option to back-up things from iPhone to your computer via iTunes. Seems they're trying to steer everything and everyone to their Cloud thing, which I'm also leery about.

I prefer to have the choice to do what I want on my computer!

BTW, I'm an ex-New Englander myself. Don't miss the winters there at all, especially like this year's!

Cheers, spring is coming… !

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Local sync with Mavs is coming back with the 10.9.3 update that should not be too much longer. Read this. Maybe wait for the update to 10.9.3 then update to Mavs.

5. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Like others have written, the OS upgrade leaves your older iWorks apps alone. However, I upgraded my iWork 09 to the latest and greatest and the older apps were still in a folder labeled iWorks 09. I used Pages 4.3 a few times before I pulled it off the dock and it worked fine, but I merely made minor edits and printed.

As for "taken away the option to back-up things from iPhone to your computer via iTunes" isnt really true. iTunes still makes a backup of your iPhone so you can restore it if needed. However, syncing between devices has changed: bookmarks, address book changes, etc., you used to sync through iTunes is now through iCloud.

6. Nam Pla thread starter macrumors member

I bought my first Mac in 2007 (OS Tiger) I knew absolutely nothing about them. I was fed up with Windows, looking at a new life, wanted a new computer anyway, decided on (for me) a major computer change.

It was new to me and a small learning curve involved, but I was amazed at how straightforward everything was, and how easy everything was to do (for my needs). Also pleasantly surprised that the software that came installed on it was actually useful, with none of the ad-like promotional crap that came with Windows. No more desktop cluttered with things I didn't use, need, or want.

I missed Office for awhile, so I opted for NeoOffice which was free back then. I still use it, though no longer "free" and it's improved quite a bit over the years. Still happy with it for my personal spreadsheet and wp stuff. I can live with the $10 yearly "donation" at least for now. Over time, and overall with the Mac, I felt like I regained control, and had a real 'personal computer' again.

Then Apple started with seemingly yearly OS upgrades. My regularly used apps were eventually no longer upgradable without upgrading the OS first. Slowly but surely I'm feeling like I'm sliding back to the same rut that drove me away from Windows!

Now with this iCloud push, and an IOS-like style to everything, I feel like I'm once again being steered into things I really don't use, need, or want. And my apps are once again falling behind, with new features only available to me if I upgrade the OS first. (And accept iCloud, and other things I don't use, need, or want!)

Just about 2 years or so (and 3 OS's) after buying a new MBP with OS Lion, I'm facing the same thing again. Only now if I upgrade the OS (at least in the case with the new Pages app, or so I thought), I'd be losing features and productivity too! Frustrating to say the least.

Anyhow, I've had my rant. I think Weasel's idea to wait for 9.3 sounds like a good one. And if I can retain use of my Pages 4.3 and all the docs I've made with it as Gochugogi and Mike said, I guess I can live with that. For how much longer is the big question!

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.