specific port opening help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCheese, Nov 21, 2008.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

Does anyone know why I would get a conflicting port error when trying to open UDP Port 5353 on my airport extreme?

I enter the 5353 in the Public UDP port entry field, but as soon as I type a 5 in the Private UDP port entry field a "ConflictingPortNumberUDP" error pops up, and prevents me from opening that port.

Thanks

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Maybe the app you are trying to open up the port for is UPnP compatible and has already opened the port for you.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Port 5353 UDP is used for Bonjour multicast DNS. I think it's also used for configuring the Airport though I'm not certain of this.

I guess you can't forward to it as it would conflict with the Airports auto discovery of services and configuration.

4. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, thanks for the responses so far. I am opening up a number of ports so I can try to get video chatting with one of my friends working. She has my older 802.11g airport extreme at her place, and I was able to open up all the ports, including 5353 on that router. We were finally able to video chat when we were both connected to the internet via her router, but it wont work when I am at my place and she is at hers. I am just confused on why I wouldn't be able to open up 5353 on my newer 802.11n airport extreme.

Edited to add:

Well that's weird. We tried video chatting with all the ports except 5353 open on my end, and she was able to see and hear me, but I wasn't able to see or hear her. I am wondering if 5353 is the missing link that will make everything completely work. Any ideas?